SDN, talk to me about Pharmacy Informatics

Started by s1lver
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

s1lver

☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good career path? How's the job outlook within the next 4-6+ years? How's the pay - slightly better than the regular Pharmacist? What's the interaction like with people? Does the work day mostly consist of talking with the boss, doing what was asked like maintaining the Cerner, QS1, etc., and then explaining to the end-users how to use/operate the EMAR, CPOE, etc. (I think I wouldn't like it if the normal work day is like 75% IT-stuff)?


Thanks for any info! 🙂
 
Good career path? How's the job outlook within the next 4-6+ years? How's the pay - slightly better than the regular Pharmacist? What's the interaction like with people? Does the work day mostly consist of talking with the boss, doing what was asked like maintaining the Cerner, QS1, etc., and then explaining to the end-users how to use/operate the EMAR, CPOE, etc. (I think I wouldn't like it if the normal work day is like 75% IT-stuff)?


Thanks for any info! 🙂

I've always felt that Pharmacy Informatics position was best handled by an IT personnel with pharmacy technician experience. I personally would be against hiring a FT pharmacist to do this sort of work.

As far as a job outlook, I only see IT pharmacists at large to very large institutions. However, I would think working for a Pharmacy IT industry managing field technicians would make the best sense for a pharmacist.

Cerner sux tho.
 
the IT pharmacists at my hospital make less per hour than other pharmacists.

my boyfriend has a MIS degree and is starting rx school this fall - at first I was steering him the IT route but I think I have him talked into drug info now...

I think people like the hours (M-F 9-5) and that there is no patient contact, no insurance to fight with, etc and are ok with the resulting paycut. There is an informatics position open at our hospital now and it has the salary listed as $36-45/hr (depending on experience, etc).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This probably isn't the best place to get the information you're looking for.

What you should do is first read ASHP's statement of the pharmacist's role in informatics: http://www.ashp.org/s_ashp/docs/files/BP07/AutoIT_St_Informatics.pdf

Then, consider joining ASHP's section of Pharmacy informatics and technology: http://www.ashp.org/s_ashp/cat2cn.asp?CID=3966&DID=6773

If you join, you'll have access to real informatics pharmacists who are doing this stuff on a daily basis. They'll be able to provide you with more specific information.

Good luck!
 
njac, thanks for the info. 🙂



This probably isn't the best place to get the information you're looking for.

What you should do is first read ASHP's statement of the pharmacist's role in informatics: http://www.ashp.org/s_ashp/docs/files/BP07/AutoIT_St_Informatics.pdf

Then, consider joining ASHP's section of Pharmacy informatics and technology: http://www.ashp.org/s_ashp/cat2cn.asp?CID=3966&DID=6773

If you join, you'll have access to real informatics pharmacists who are doing this stuff on a daily basis. They'll be able to provide you with more specific information.

Good luck!

That's a really informative site... thanks for the EXCELLENT links!
 
thanks for the big thumbs-up on cerner, epic! will be spending LOTS of time with cerner very soon....

to the OP, i will be officially starting fulltime as the pharmacy system administrator on monday....after having done it part time in addition to my regular staffing duties for the past six months. it is a lateral move with regard to salary for me....so it is possible to work in IT and be paid as a pharmacist, i know of a few folks who have done so. i am also a certified DBA on SQLServer and am working on Oracle 10g....if you want cred with vendors and IT staff, you should rack up a few of these certs....

my job consists of lots of troubleshooting...we are currently installing many members of the pyxis line of products...as well as updating and maintaining our current system. soon, i will be getting our systems prepared for the new cerner install....which is exciting for me, as i get to build the pharmacy system from the ground up....

yes, there is NO patient contact...i will be working per diem in my hospital as a staff pharmacist to keep my edge. i think you DO need a pharmacist doing this job....i dont necessarily want a tech making decisions about order sets, formulary, rules and database set-up, interaction screening etc...

hope this helps!
 
It did help, thanks! It gave me an idea of what I could expect working as an IT Pharmacist. Having little to no patient contact is the deal-breaker for me...


sheesh....that's why i picked it....don't like to touch people!
 
I'm not really clear on this, couldn't a computer science or computer engineer handle that stuff?? Why pharmacist?

Plus, I think you'll be missing a lot of pharma sciences?? maybe??
You don't like patient counseling, why you're a pharmacist then?

Just some thoughts came to my mind, and btw I LOVE computers, databases, etc. lol