SDN, the sanctuary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who works in the corporate world find SDN incredibly relaxing despite the all the neuroticism? After a day of office politics, meaningless work, and fake coworkers, it's nice to see some idealism. It gives me hope. Sure there are exceptions but most SDNers seem like great people (no need for pretense on the Internet either). One of the things I look forward to in medicine is the colleagues you can look up to, who didn't get where they are by kissing up and screwing over others, which is how things mostly work in business.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree mostly with what you said, but this place seems to be no exception - there are some people in here that seem to lack in some areas (not the #s) that it scares me to think that some of them might become doctors LOL. But vast majority are COOL! And vast majority of med school students don't use SDN either so this place can't really be a good representation of what med school students are actually like.

But I don't doubt 97% of med school students are awesome well-rounded people such as myself hehe. :D

I pretty much feel the same. I even sneak in posts when my boss isn't looking... I love to live on the edge.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's been my lifeboat for the past couple of years. *sigh*

It's pretty much kept me sane the past 3 months, knowing there are people suffering with me ;)

potato51 said:
It's pretty much kept me sane the past 3 months, knowing there are people suffering with me ;)

Suffering is a good word....i think a lot of other words would have sufficed as well....some i cannot repeat. :)

Apparition said:
...fake coworkers...One of the things I look forward to in medicine is the colleagues you can look up to, who didn't get where they are by kissing up and screwing over others

hmmm? seems like your coworkers have a lot in common with the typical premed.... I don't think physicians, and especially premeds, are saints and better people than those in other careers.

For me, SDN makes me incredibly happy about my decision to become a physician. I feel so bad for some of the people in my office b/c they hate their jobs or they feel like they're always dealing with some bureaucratic crap (imagine the TPS reports in Office Space x 100! We just have a ridiculous number of useless reports here). Most of my coworkers wonder how they ended up at this job in the first place (I find this to be common with alot of people who were business majors)! Anyway, I feel really good knowing that I have a clear vision of where I am going.

That being said, I'm sure there are physicians who hate their job and we will have to deal with our own share of bureaucratic crap with insurance stuff....but hey, I'm still in that naive, idealistic phase :oops:

Will Ferrell said:
hmmm? seems like your coworkers have a lot in common with the typical premed.... I don't think physicians, and especially premeds, are saints and better people than those in other careers.

I guess I've been lucky not to have encountered many cut-throat pre-meds. The gunners that I have met have all been proud of their gunnerness and didn't hide it. So you see a gunner from a while away. He's the one standing with an anatomy book, a rifle and smoke coming out of his nostrils. People in business speak to you with a big smile (that may as well have been permanently attached to their faces by a plastic surgeon) and as soon as you turn around, there is a knife in your back.

A good way to get away from gunners is to major in a field that is not a traditional pre-med route. I did physics. Nope, no pre-meds there. Just a bunch of single men who think that Friday nights are meant for going to bed early so that they can get up on Saturday morning and continue working on problems.

As the OP said, SDN is a great way to relieve the tension at work---or after a long day of class for that matter.