SDN User Feedback Request! "What do you want? "

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SDNFeedback

Student Doctor Network is looking for what our users would like to see in improvements on our site. With the monies from donations this year, SDN has been able to upgrade the servers and is currently in process of updating the database server. We are working to improve SDN and respond to what resources the majority of our users wish to utilize (and of course make SDN more stable so there is no more crashing!)

In response to user requests, this year SDN has already implemented these changes:

• revamped its forums with the addition and reorganization of various forums and sub-forums,
• added the SDN bookstore, SDN store, and upgraded donor privileges to raise money for SDN,
• updated interview feedback forum,
• as well as added more partners in order to serve our users and provide them with the latest and greatest information on various fields (Such as McGill Journal of Medicine, painrounds.com, eyeorbit.org, d aMD-MBA.org)
• and much, much more!​

So we are now requesting what YOU, as the user, to provide us with feedback and suggestions on what you would like to have in terms upgrades of features and format changes. Our goal is to have people from all walks of life contribute to SDN and help us to create an invaluable resource for pre-professional health programs through graduate school, practice specialties and beyond.

Hurricane

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
The Metroplex
blue-hurricane.livejournal.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Speed. :cool:

It would also be nice if unread posts weren't marked as read until you actually read them. I hate it when I only have time to read the posts in one topic, then I come back and all of the other posts (that I didn't read) no longer show up as new.

Keep up the good work!

Miklos

15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Subforum under individual specialties dedicated to residency program reviews submitted by users.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Bible Belt and loving it
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Miklos said:
Subforum under individual specialties dedicated to residency program reviews submitted by users.

THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA MIKLOS!

mosche

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2004
Rocky Top
Status
This may not be doable; however, it seems that every year there are threads where second and third years ask fourth years what their numbers are and to what residencies they are applying. I think that it would be nice if there was an updateable sticky -- or perhaps subforum as suggested by miklos -- in each specialty where candidates post: 1. Their numbers/stats/research/AOA/etc...; 2. Programs to which they applied; 3. Programs where they received interviews; 4. Program where they matched. Like I said, this may not be doable, and I do realize that quasi-threads pop-up each year; however, one cohesive thread that lists each years applicants credentials/experiences would be nice.

One other thing: it would be helpful to have a simple yes/no questionaire that residents and medical students could submit regarding their owm programs/schools. For example, "Does your program allow moonlighting? Y/N" or "Would you choose Program X again? Y/N".

Miklos

15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mosche said:
This may not be doable; however, it seems that every year there are threads where second and third years ask fourth years what their numbers are and to what residencies they are applying. I think that it would be nice if there was an updateable sticky -- or perhaps subforum as suggested by miklos -- in each specialty where candidates post: 1. Their numbers/stats/research/AOA/etc...; 2. Programs to which they applied; 3. Programs where they received interviews; 4. Program where they matched. Like I said, this may not be doable, and I do realize that quasi-threads pop-up each year; however, one cohesive thread that lists each years applicants credentials/experiences would be nice.

One other thing: it would be helpful to have a simple yes/no questionaire that residents and medical students could submit regarding their owm programs/schools. For example, "Does your program allow moonlighting? Y/N" or "Would you choose Program X again? Y/N".
I had thought about that (e.g. making part of SDN like scutwork.com -- yeah, that would be ideal), but considering that people simply prefer to ask questions as opposed to structured forms, perhaps the easiest solution is to make sure that there's a single place for that information (e.g. the subforum).

One additional way of making this information more accessible might be to ask people to properly title their threads with the name of the residency program or location (many do this now anyhow) and add a sticky to the top of the subforum reminding people to include the appropriate info.

mosche

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2004
Rocky Top
Status
Miklos said:
I had thought about that (e.g. making part of SDN like scutwork.com -- yeah, that would be ideal), but considering that people simply prefer to ask questions as opposed to structured forms, perhaps the easiest solution is to make sure that there's a single place for that information (e.g. the subforum).

One additional way of making this information more accessible might be to ask people to properly title their threads with the name of the residency program or location (many do this now anyhow) and add a sticky to the top of the subforum reminding people to include the appropriate info.
I agree with you. However, I think that if people just have a yes/no format, they might be more likely to respond. Scutwork.com, typically, has few respondants; and the ones that are there, are often outdated.

Miklos

15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mosche said:
I agree with you. However, I think that if people just have a yes/no format, they might be more likely to respond. Scutwork.com, typically, has few respondants; and the ones that are there, are often outdated.
Good point. It would be nice to be able to access that kind of information (as FREIDA is hopelessly out of date).

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2003
The innocent shall suffer...big time
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I would like to see system (it could be anonymous) whereby a poster's qualifications are listed (ie. premed vs. med student vs. intern vs. resident vs. attending, and so on as appropriate). That way, you'd know if the hearty and sometimes dogmatic advice someone is giving isn't even in the same field, or is at a training level below the original posters. It would help put opinions in perspective.

Gamespot.com (a videogame website) awards "medals" for certain membership accomplishments. For example, moderators would have moderator medals, other posters would have an "above 500 posts" medal, and so on. It would give a silly yet addictive incentive to contribute frequently and stay updated on the site.

Hurricane

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
The Metroplex
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anasazi23 said:
I would like to see system (it could be anonymous) whereby a poster's qualifications are listed (ie. premed vs. med student vs. intern vs. resident vs. attending, and so on as appropriate). That way, you'd know if the hearty and sometimes dogmatic advice someone is giving isn't even in the same field, or is at a training level below the original posters. It would help put opinions in perspective.
There is a space for that in the user profile. If you click on my name, it says "current status: medical student" but unfortunately most people don't fill out that part. I think it would be cool if your status and gender showed up under your avatar like your location does though.

Gamespot.com (a videogame website) awards "medals" for certain membership accomplishments. For example, moderators would have moderator medals, other posters would have an "above 500 posts" medal, and so on. It would give a silly yet addictive incentive to contribute frequently and stay updated on the site.
I recently joined a forum that has karma. Each post has links to either smite or applaud the poster, and that user's karma goes up or down accordingly. I guess you run the risk of some asshat smiting everyone who disagrees with him, even if the opposing posts are polite and well-spoken, but so far it's worked pretty well. People seem to be mindful of not being a jerk, lest they get smote. And it's kinda fun. (the forum software is simplemachines)

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2003
The innocent shall suffer...big time
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Hurricane said:
There is a space for that in the user profile. If you click on my name, it says "current status: medical student" but unfortunately most people don't fill out that part. I think it would be cool if your status and gender showed up under your avatar like your location does though.
You're right..most people don't use the user profile. And when they do, it's irrelevant information, humorous quips, and don't mention the training level at all.

I recently joined a forum that has karma. Each post has links to either smite or applaud the poster, and that user's karma goes up or down accordingly. I guess you run the risk of some asshat smiting everyone who disagrees with him, even if the opposing posts are polite and well-spoken, but so far it's worked pretty well. People seem to be mindful of not being a jerk, lest they get smote. And it's kinda fun. (the forum software is simplemachines)
We had a karma system here on SDN some time ago. In short, it was a disaster. Tons of "increase your karma here" threads popped up, as did other unforseen problems. You had little green bars under your name indicating how much karma you had. It seemed as though many were out to create horribly karma'd profiles, while others macroed their way directly into heaven itself within a few days. Maybe they'll reinstitute it again some day. We'll see.

Hurricane

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
The Metroplex
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anasazi23 said:
We had a karma system here on SDN some time ago. In short, it was a disaster. Tons of "increase your karma here" threads popped up, as did other unforseen problems. You had little green bars under your name indicating how much karma you had. It seemed as though many were out to create horribly karma'd profiles, while others macroed their way directly into heaven itself within a few days. Maybe they'll reinstitute it again some day. We'll see.
People cheating their way to heaven? Shameful! :eek:

Oh well, I guess that's to be expected when you throw a bunch of uber-competetive people together...

Manochikitsak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It would be great if we could have a "Journal Club Sub-Forum."

OP
S

SDNFeedback

If you have any suggestions, please submit them ASAP!!

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for all of the feedback. The volunteers at SDN are reviewing all of the suggestions we've received.

Status
Not open for further replies.