SDN - VIN Foundation - APVMA Free Webinar: Apply Smarter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildWing

SDN Staff
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Join the VIN Foundation in collaboration with the Student Doctor Network (SDN) and the American Pre-Veterinary Medical Association (APVMA) in learning how you can Apply Smarter to veterinary school!

Veterinary school is expensive. A veterinary degree can cost as much as or more than a medical school degree and more than the average U.S. home mortgage. But veterinary new graduate starting salaries are about ½ to ⅓ of what a new physician can earn. To save yourself heartache and years of financial stress, commit to applying smarter.

What does it mean to Apply Smarter? Narrow your target list of schools. Only apply to veterinary schools where you can attend at the lowest cost possible. Not only can you increase your chances of getting in, but you’ll also save tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars repaying your student loans. Your future Dr. Financially-Responsible-Smart-Applicant-Veterinarian Self will thank you!

Register for this free webinar and join Tony Bartels, DMV, MBA to learn how you can Apply Smarter to veterinary school, increase your chances of acceptance, and save time & money!

Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 5pm PT / 8pm ET

https://VIN.zoom.us/webinar/register/9615641735955/WN_fzCSva3gTtanYsg1oHFcpQ

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Though I wonder how applying to only the cheapest schools increases my chances of getting in? Am I misreading that?

Though I wonder how applying to only the cheapest schools increases my chances of getting in? Am I misreading that?
Yea while I agree that going to a cheaper school is a good idea, if it takes you 4 cycles to get into a cheaper school, isn’t there an opportunity cost that can outweigh the savings in tuition/COL when you factor everything in? E.g. graduating sooner with a higher salary ($80,000+ vs a third of that prior to applying if you work full time as a vet tech/intern/etc.), cost of multiple applications, how much you value your time. I just think saying only applying to cheaper schools conflicts with saying you’ll increase your chances of getting in.

Just playing devil’s advocate. Maybe the webinar will discuss that. It’s something I’ve never truly seen fleshed out on paper before and I’d be curious to see a thought out financial analysis of applying multiple times and getting into a cheaper school vs applying once and getting into a more expensive school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it says only apply to cheap schools. It says to target schools you can afford - and that's going to be a different list depending on where you live and your individual financial situation. Basically, don't apply to a dozen different schools if realistically you can only afford two of them. Make those two applications the best they can be. Look at what those schools want, and make sure you exceed those requirements, and you'll increase your chance of admission.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think it says only apply to cheap schools. It says to target schools you can afford - and that's going to be a different list depending on where you live and your individual financial situation. Basically, don't apply to a dozen different schools if realistically you can only afford two of them. Make those two applications the best they can be. Look at what those schools want, and make sure you exceed those requirements, and you'll increase your chance of admission.
Yes! Speaking as someone who had to refuse acceptances for schools I had no chance of affording, it's a painful rollercoaster. I wish I had more sense earlier.

Plus if you apply to a dozen schools and let's say you get "lucky" and get interviews at 6 of them. There is a very decent to likely chance you will have to pick and choose which interviews to attend. Many of these schools give you an interview date or a choice of a few days and that is it. If you can't come because of an interview elsewhere, tough ****, you don't get your interview and your application is considered withdrawn.

Reactions: 2 users
If you missed the "Apply Smarter" webinar, you can view it online and download the "Apply Smarter Checklist" here: