sdn won't let me cheat!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Dilettante

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In an effort to up my buddy's Karma, I found that there's some sort of preventative measure in place. What's up with that?! :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Being within a professional community like SDN, I guess it is expected that they will keep this forum at a high ethical standard. :)

Dr. Dilettante said:
In an effort to up my buddy's Karma, I found that there's some sort of preventative measure in place. What's up with that?! :mad:

If it makes you feel any better, the same measure will also prevent others from giving you too many bad karma's ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's expected, then why do we need the monitoring?

Easy for you to say! Look at your Karma, Henna. That's what I'm after :)

Dr. Dilettante said:
Easy for you to say! Look at your Karma, Henna. That's what I'm after :)
Give me a quality post and I'll give you karma. :) ;)

The reason that karma or (reputation points) is used is to give other SDNers an idea about the quality of information that you provide here on SDN. Last checked, unless all three of your posts are high quality posts that benefit other people, I don't think you will receive much karma right now. Maybe within a month when you begin to contribute more, then your karma will likely improve.

What is the point of this KARMA thing anyways? I mean since this karma thing is a newer system for old timers like me who contributed in hundreds of great posts in the past and who also doesn't post much anymore, I have much less Karma. But for these "lounge lurkers" who posts 20 posts a day who gets 50 karmas a day...

What are we, in junior high, popularity contest!?

What a useless feature in my opinion! :thumbdown:

Yah-E,
:laugh:
There are many who feel this way so Lee, has now given us an option to disable it if we don't like it.You can disable the karma by going to the USER CP and clicking on EDIT OPTIONS.

Henna

Yes, but if I disable it, I will look suspect.

One of the flaw about the reputation system is that I have seen many (karma) beggers floating in the Lounge - I've seen several thread with titles 'Give me karma', etc....(you see mostly people with high karma reside in the Lounge). This basically defeats the purpose of developing the reputation system. Hopefully after a while the hype will die down and the karma status will gain respectability.

The Musketeer said:
Hopefully after a while the hype will die down and the karma status will gain respectability.

Yeah, that's what I am waiting for too.

Members don't see this ad :)
gatorfan99 said:
Word of advice: dont post anything political on "Everyone". Your Karma will get trashed!
:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, we do have a tough crowd there, don't we ?

i got good karma. i'm touched :D

I wish there was some accountability for bad karma, I mean, basically someone can anonymously bash on you. That's no good,I like to know if the Bad Karma comments are from someone whose opinion I respect.

Kar?ma

Noun 1. karma - (Hinduism and Buddhism) the effects of a person's actions that determine his destiny in his next incarnation.

Noun 2. karma - (French) the feeling you get when you had too much wine.

Noun 3. karma - (President Bush) a term used for the press when he can 't answer questions.

The best part of receiving karma is when a person is bashing you but lacks sufficient influence to affect your rating even by one point. I find such impotent rage amusing...it's like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum.

"the effects of a person's actions that determine his destiny in his next incarnation."

Well that's no good...I guess I'm coming back as a politician since that's what my Karma read out states..."shameless behaviour" I just hope I won't go so low as being a relative of Bush! I guess I could kick it up a notch...get back on that distiquished road :)

Dental Profession Rules! :thumbup:

(Approve this post if you agree by clicking the Reputation bar)

<<< click here. :D

Thanks Mo, I'll get you again, when it will let me.:laugh: