SDSU/UCSD JDP application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbyoung

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm having a hard time getting a response from the SDSU/UCSD JDP program and am hoping that someone here will know the answer. On the CSU application, which is due December 1st, there is a place for you to upload your Statement of Purpose. However, the directions also say "If you have already sent your Statement of Purpose directly to the department/program, please enter the following text in the box below: Statement sent directly to department/program." Also, the previous paper version of the application says that you should send in your Statement of Purpose as part of the second portion of the application, which is due Dec 31st. So does this mean that I should just write "Statement sent directly to department/program" on the CSU application and submit my Statement of Purpose in the second portion of the application? Or should I submit my Statement of Purpose twice? I'm going crazy here...

Members don't see this ad.

The SDSU/UCSD application seems quite disorganized and vague. I'm in the same boat. I also can't figure out the LOR deal - have you figured out if they should be sent in by the Part 1 or Part 2 deadline?

I feel you! I would just enter statement sent directly to program. because thats what they wanted in the previous year so I would just assume its the same. it sounds like their online thing is just an online version of the previous year's

and i think i also recall them saying the letters of rec should be submitted online only. so i would assume that the rec are to be done after Dec 1 when their online application comes to life.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had this same question and actually called the department about it. They told me that it IS necessary to enter an essay in the application. For me, this essay is different than the one I'm sending to the department because of the length requirements (no more than 500 words for the one on the application). Hope this helps!

You managed to get a hold of them?! Wow, I called like five times and emailed and never heard back!

You managed to get a hold of them?! Wow, I called like five times and emailed and never heard back!
Well, they didn't respond to my emails either, but I managed to catch someone by phone. Maybe it was luck!

Wow I called and emailed, but alas no luck.

Does anyone know if SDSU is lenient with receiving the Psychology Subject Test GRE scores past the deadline? I'm taking them Nov. 13 (mailed out Dec. 24). =/ Of course kicking myself in the butt for procrastinating registering...

I called today with the same 2 questions and talked with Mary at the Ucsd/Sdsu jdp and she said 1) Just type in "statement sent to department" in the CSU app, you don't have to make a separate essay, just make sure you put SOMETHING in that section and not leave it black 2) Letters of Rec will be e-mailed with the second part of the app after Dec.1 and must be received by Dec. 31 (no exceptions). Hope this helps, I don't know why there is conflicting info on here. If anyone else wants to double check, call the sdsu psych dept. press 0 to speak with the operator and ask to have the number to the sdsu/ucsd jdp. Good luck!

I don't understand... the JDP hates me or something I've called so many times and never gotten a hold of anyone...

And the JDP sounds pretty lenient on GRE score deadlines. I recall reading in the instructions somewhere on the website to fax any grades that may not make it to them on time

I called today with the same 2 questions and talked with Mary at the Ucsd/Sdsu jdp and she said 1) Just type in "statement sent to department" in the CSU app, you don't have to make a separate essay, just make sure you put SOMETHING in that section and not leave it black 2) Letters of Rec will be e-mailed with the second part of the app after Dec.1 and must be received by Dec. 31 (no exceptions). Hope this helps, I don't know why there is conflicting info on here. If anyone else wants to double check, call the sdsu psych dept. press 0 to speak with the operator and ask to have the number to the sdsu/ucsd jdp. Good luck!

I understood it the same way. The only thing that needs to be sent in right now to them is the transcripts and gre scores.

Wow, it's crazy that we would get two different answers when calling the same department. They clearly have some miscommunication going on in their system!

So you guys mailed in your statement of purpose to the department by the Dec 1 deadline?

Is that correct?

Hey everyone,
I just got a hold of Mary and I asked her the questions we've been talking about.
1. For the CSU application, just write "Statement sent directly to department" in the space provided for the statement of purpose.

2. LORs are due December 31st.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got this email from SDSU:

1) Letters of recommendation will be part of the supplemental online

application that will be available starting December 1, 2010. Paper

recommendations will NOT be accepted.

2) When filling out the CSU Mentor application, there is no need to input

your statement of purpose. Please just answer "See supplemental

application"

3) Statements of purpose, letters of recommendation, vitae, and essays are

all part of the supplemental online application that will be available

starting December 1, 2010.

4) GRE scores must be RECEIVED by the Graduate Admissions Office at SDSU by

December 31, 2010. If you fax a GRE report directly to us (619-594-6780) by

December 31, 2010, we will consider your application, but cannot make an

offical determination until the official score is received by SDSU.

I got this email from SDSU:

1) Letters of recommendation will be part of the supplemental online

application that will be available starting December 1, 2010. Paper

recommendations will NOT be accepted.

2) When filling out the CSU Mentor application, there is no need to input

your statement of purpose. Please just answer "See supplemental

application"

3) Statements of purpose, letters of recommendation, vitae, and essays are

all part of the supplemental online application that will be available

starting December 1, 2010.

4) GRE scores must be RECEIVED by the Graduate Admissions Office at SDSU by

December 31, 2010. If you fax a GRE report directly to us (619-594-6780) by

December 31, 2010, we will consider your application, but cannot make an

offical determination until the official score is received by SDSU.
I received this email too. I think they're sending this out instead of actually replying to the questions we've emailed in.

I got the same e-mail - and it is posted on the website. One question I had was that it says "do not choose any POIs who have asterisks by their name". Do we know if this list is updated. Also, it is inconsistent - one of the POIs I really want to work with is listed twice, and once has an asterisk and a different one doesn't. Also, do you think it is ok to put down someone with an asterisk as a 3rd option - just because their research interests match perfectly? I have e-mailed the POIs and get not-definite responses such as: "It's possible this could change, but for right now I have no plans to do so." or "Right now I am unsure whether I can take graduate students, but keep in touch with me in the event things change, I would love to have you work with me." I am applying even though my POIs are very uncertain. It seems like the entire neuropsychology section has asterisks. Does anyone have any further information?

Thanks

I got the same e-mail - and it is posted on the website. One question I had was that it says "do not choose any POIs who have asterisks by their name". Do we know if this list is updated. Also, it is inconsistent - one of the POIs I really want to work with is listed twice, and once has an asterisk and a different one doesn't. Also, do you think it is ok to put down someone with an asterisk as a 3rd option - just because their research interests match perfectly? I have e-mailed the POIs and get not-definite responses such as: "It's possible this could change, but for right now I have no plans to do so." or "Right now I am unsure whether I can take graduate students, but keep in touch with me in the event things change, I would love to have you work with me." I am applying even though my POIs are very uncertain. It seems like the entire neuropsychology section has asterisks. Does anyone have any further information?

Thanks
I've run into this issue as well. I know the asterisks have changed multiple times in the past few months, and I too am running into the problem that nearly every one of my potential matches now says they aren't taking a student. Sorry, I have no solutions here, but I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone!

The application is finally up - and with an even smaller list of faculty members. I am still going to apply since I paid the initial fee...but the changes in faculty are disappointing. Also, after speaking to one of the faculty members, I was told that not only are we all competing for positions, but that due to the recent budget cuts, not all of the POIs that want students will have the opportunity to accept one. Also, how are you guys splitting your personal statement into two essays (as they have two different prompts)?

Thanks

Can you submit 4 letters of Rec to this program? I tried adding an additional one to the website and it gave me an error message?

Where is the supplemental application? For some reason I cannot find the link to it even though I'm probably staring right at it...:confused:

Nevermind my above question by now.

I am a little unclear about something on the second part of the application and can't get in touch with the JDP department by phone or email so I'm hoping someone else working on their JDP app can help.

The directions for the Clinical Psychology Coursework form are vague and sound like they want you to list any ongoing or future coursework before enrollment, yet on the form itself it says Graduate Courses. I looked at the old paper version and it is again vague, but does not specify graduate level courses. I feel like it would make sense to put current and future undergrad level courses too... can anyone help me out with this tid bit?

I assumed this was for current undergraduate or graduate students who are still finishing up their coursework. So if you're not currently enrolled anywhere, I don't think you need to complete that section. Of course this is just my interpretation...

Nevermind my above question by now.

I am a little unclear about something on the second part of the application and can't get in touch with the JDP department by phone or email so I'm hoping someone else working on their JDP app can help.

The directions for the Clinical Psychology Coursework form are vague and sound like they want you to list any ongoing or future coursework before enrollment, yet on the form itself it says Graduate Courses. I looked at the old paper version and it is again vague, but does not specify graduate level courses. I feel like it would make sense to put current and future undergrad level courses too... can anyone help me out with this tid bit?

I'm not seeing a place or instructions for the personal statement. AHHHHH this application is so frustrating. Do they want you to submit a personal statement where they ask you to tell about your reasons for pursuing psychology? I thought it would be more of a prompt than that...