Seasonal/temporary RPH positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed (either on LinkedIn or company-specific websites) that some companies like CVS and Walmart now have seasonal/temporary pharmacist openings? I didn’t know that was a thing (outside of staffing companies)...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The goal here is to provide coverage for flu shot season. There are nutty goals discussed on Reddit:

I work at a CVS inside Target. Our average script count is between 750-850. Last year, our goal was 1695 (which we met). This year, our goal is 4400! We’re only open 64 hours per week, and right now, I am the only person staffing the pharmacy for more than half of my 10 hour shifts. I had 2.5 tech hours today for example. Meeting goals only gets you bigger goals the following year.

Dunno how you even hit 1695 at that volume without doing a crap-ton of offsite.

Our store is expected to process over 5000 vaccines for just the month of October.
All our best employees put in their notice after their "raise". We are doomed.

Yeah don't even bother.

Dunno why some of these customers keep going to such pharmacies where there are 40+ shots on a Saturday morning. Or like 20+ deep at pick up.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I was hired as one for CVS/Target. It is for Sept/October. I pretty much expect a lot of 4 hour shifts 6 days a week. I haven't started yet. I am surprised they are not contracting it out (1099 etc) and actually doing their standard 40 hours of training. This setup only makes sense in terms of efficiency is if I come in and just do flu shots during my shift.

If anyone wants more info few weeks from now, they can PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The goal here is to provide coverage for flu shot season. There are nutty goals discussed on Reddit:

Yeah don't even bother.

Dunno why some of these customers keep going to such pharmacies where there are 40+ shots on a Saturday morning. Or like 20+ deep at pick up.

No clue, I worked at the summer side of a snow bird type store and did 27 vaccines by 130pm once in mid Septrmbet. I was giving people 1 hour waits for their shots that day and it was not even phasing them.

Apparently the RXM I replaced would always give 3+ hour waits and the store manager would have to call patients back into the store once their vaccine was ready. Somehow people didn't care and still used that dumpster fire instead of the 4 other pharmacies within a 5 minute drive.

No clue, I worked at the summer side of a snow bird type store and did 27 vaccines by 130pm once in mid Septrmbet. I was giving people 1 hour waits for their shots that day and it was not even phasing them.

Apparently the RXM I replaced would always give 3+ hour waits and the store manager would have to call patients back into the store once their vaccine was ready. Somehow people didn't care and still used that dumpster fire instead of the 4 other pharmacies within a 5 minute drive.
Not they didn't care, they can't use other pharmacies, their 90d meds is only restricted to cvs or their out of pocket goes up if they switch.

Yup, people bitch and moan and groan but keep coming back. If the service is really that bad go somewhere else.

Not they didn't care, they can't use other pharmacies, their 90d meds is only restricted to cvs or their out of pocket goes up if they switch.

That’s probably part of it but the people who complained the most in my experience had part D and could go elsewhere if they wanted.

Corona is the straw that broke the camel's back probably seeing you have to wade through metaphorical human filth to reach the counter of a Walmart Pharmacy.

Even Medicare recipients with full LIS will go elsewhere under those circumstances. Flat/no growth YTD FTW

I have literally encountered 3 regular CVS/Caremark commercial customers in 5 years too lazy to change pharmacies though

Corona is the straw that broke the camel's back probably seeing you have to wade through metaphorical human filth to reach the counter of a Walmart Pharmacy.

Even Medicare recipients with full LIS will go elsewhere under those circumstances. Flat/no growth YTD FTW

I have literally encountered 3 regular CVS/Caremark commercial customers in 5 years too lazy to change pharmacies though
Do you Know if Walmart is hiring such pharmacist in California?

If it's only for flu shots, why don't they just hire RNs for cheaper?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you Know if Walmart is hiring such pharmacist in California?

That is the point of these positions

Coverage may involve making the pharmacy manager grind for shots LMAO while the noob pharmacist works the bench, not just making the temp pharmacists do the shots. RNs can't work the bench

That is the point of these positions

Coverage may involve making the pharmacy manager grind for shots LMAO while the noob pharmacist works the bench, not just making the temp pharmacists do the shots. RNs can't work the bench
lol they already using us grad interns to do the shots. PIC said there will be flu clinics at the store and I guess one of us will be doing flu clinics. It’s crazy how they are trying to sell vaccines to every patient. Poor patients are sometimes confuse on what they are even getting. I just wonder what kind of people I am getting exposed to while doing shots. They don’t care about us new grads, throwing under bus. PIC just does of what’s being asked by DM. I am so done with woking like this, risking my health in middle of pandemic. FYI - I don’t mind doing shots in regular season.

Because it will introduce a whole new variable into the equation - people who have spines, are used to unions and have actual lobbying power - so the power dynamic between corporate and employee will change if you start hiring RNs versus RPhs who will whine and complain but never get anything done and are therefore no threat.

The long term play is to have techs do immunizations anyways (as soon as legislation allows for it), so it makes more sense to have existing pharmacy workers do this task while you gradually transition the responsibility so that they can help out with other pharmacy tasks when they have downtime. So the evolution of immunization responsibilities will be as follows: pharmacists (past-current) --> seasonal/temporary pharmacists and APPE/grad interns(current) --> techs (future) --> seasonal/temporary techs (future).

Members don't see this ad :)
Widespread tech usurpation won't work for chains without imposing a draconian performance regime (implement an actual probation period particularly) and no one wants to apply to retail currently when they can just collect coronabucks.

Supply of techs for chain retail is far lower than that for pharmacists

Widespread tech usurpation won't work for chains without imposing a draconian performance regime (implement an actual probation period particularly) and no one wants to apply to retail currently when they can just collect coronabucks.

Supply of techs for chain retail is far lower than that for pharmacists
Let's be realistic here. In pharmacy school we had 1 day of immunization training and were free to immunize at health fairs and the such after that. So if you mass hired techs to immunize, the "probation period" wouldn't be longer than a week at max. Getting immunization certified would be just like getting CPR certified... anyone can do it and there is no barrier to entry besides spending a few hours of your day to learn procedures and stuff.

Productivity metrics. Time to complete shot. % yield (% of pts eligible for a shot actually received a shot) etc

Has anyone noticed (either on LinkedIn or company-specific websites) that some companies like CVS and Walmart now have seasonal/temporary pharmacist openings? I didn’t know that was a thing (outside of staffing companies)...

Attachments

• 533191A7-F361-4E3E-962C-D9EE32208ADA.png
    533191A7-F361-4E3E-962C-D9EE32208ADA.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 60
I call your $20/hr job and raise you to $13/hr. Better hide this thread from @Chrish or he's going to start reporting everyone...

Attachments

• F38DA1B9-E9D3-4468-A849-B7D5F915D001.jpeg
    F38DA1B9-E9D3-4468-A849-B7D5F915D001.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 63
I call your $20/hr job and raise you to $13/hr. Better hide this thread from @Chrish or he's going to start reporting everyone...

That’s not what we were discussing.. You can definitely get people to work for $30 an hour but most likely either someone who can’t get hired anywhere due to poor reputation or a new grad with no experience who would go elsewhere as soon as looking for another job..

PS the link you have posted is more than likely to be a scam. Would indeed be shocking if true. Can anyone else confirm?

That’s not what we were discussing.. You can definitely get people to work for $30 an hour but most likely either someone who can’t get hired anywhere due to poor reputation or a new grad with no experience who would go elsewhere as soon as looking for another job..

PS the link you have posted is more than likely to be a scam. Would indeed be shocking if true. Can anyone else confirm?

Attachments

• 1377C7AE-979C-4938-89C2-3592F359FBBC.jpeg
    1377C7AE-979C-4938-89C2-3592F359FBBC.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 53

Yeah, I’m sure it’s all fake news. Salaries can’t possibly be tanking.

Probably all a hoax like the pandemic......

And if you’re naive enough to think that only qualified pharmacists hold jobs and those unemployed are lousy, there’s no hope for you. One need only look at the Trump administration. I have seen “lousy” and incompetent pharmacists hold and obtain jobs simply because of who they know.

Way to change words just so you can argue with someone.. Majority of pharmacists currently holding jobs aren’t qualified. That’s why qualified staff pharmacists and especially managers are an asset; just because they are so rare. Only two or three out of ten pharmacists I meet daily whom I would consider worth keeping.

But go ahead and keep arguing. I won’t entertain this further..

If you have no doubt about offer of $13-19 being real, then there is no hope left for people like you.
I bet you think there is no discrimination based on race in the work place, and that everything is based on merit. Lol

I have experienced discrimination myself from management and customers.

Not really sure what we are discussing anymore. I am out.

Peace.

Here's the thing: why would it be a fake posting? If the company did this just to collect personal information then what reason would they have to offer such a low salary instead of making it look like a "normal" job? Same thing goes for if it is some sort of internal promotion but they had to post it for legal reasons.

And the reason why "quality" candidates will accept $30/hr is because they have no other options, especially if these jobs are in highly desirable locations. As an example, it is doomsday to many pharmacy students from CA if they have to move outside Southern California to find a job. They would rather be unemployed and drop dead than move, citing "proximity to family" and the such. So if a $30/hr job in LA pops up, you can bet your money that they will apply - not because they have a poor reputation or have no experience.

Way to change words just so you can argue with someone.. Majority of pharmacists currently holding jobs aren’t qualified. That’s why qualified staff pharmacists and especially managers are an asset; just because they are so rare. Only two or three out of ten pharmacists I meet daily whom I would consider worth keeping.

Here’s some more fake news Chrish.

Attachments

• 50343482-2C8F-4C2A-8D29-01A664B0CBD2.png
    50343482-2C8F-4C2A-8D29-01A664B0CBD2.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 47

Ok, one last one. I moved from this area. I don’t believe this is fake news as the Walgreens in Orlando area was putting pharmacists on waiting lists in 2011. I’m the source. Miami was just as bad unless you spoke Spanish. ;).

Attachments

• EA19773D-C73C-4086-808D-119B9473E9C0.png
    EA19773D-C73C-4086-808D-119B9473E9C0.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 46

Yeah don't even bother.

I started at Target when I graduated and soon after they converted to CVS/Target. One fine September Saturday, I was working at this target next to Ikea and other big shopping centers. This was a VERY busy target. I had ZERO tech help, filled 150 scripts ALL by myself, gave 20 flu shots. It was the scariest day of my life and I gave my two weeks notice the next week.