Seattle Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwtucker83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to UW or attending UW now that knows the housing/rental markets in the seattle area?

I'm trying to figure out, where the "bad" areas of town are where the cheapest areas, close to school are.

I have a wife and 2 kids so I'm looking at renting a 3 bedroom during school -

I know one thing - housing is expensive in Seattle. Any input on this would be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

North of 45th street (Greek system housing and such) is pretty bad area. Down near U village is a great area to find good housing. A 3 bedroom in very good condition there would cost around 1500-1600 a month. I live west of campus (2 blocks west) and the area is nice as well but it is more expensive..

Also, you can live farther away... 3-4 miles away and pay 200$-300$ cheaper rent and take the bus. Public transportation here rocks.

Don't even look at downtown - it is quite expensive there.

Another good area is Capitol Hill (south of campus).

Except for north of 45th street (45th-50th streets and 15th - 22nd ave square), UW area is safe.

PM me if anything!

If you want cheaper, look just north of the U District, as far as Northgate (~3-4 miles away). There are bus routes that connect from there all the way to the UW Health Sciences.

Wallingford could be a little more expensive (immediately West), but it's on a hill and you get a great view of Lake Union and downtown right behind it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone going to UW or attending UW now that knows the housing/rental markets in the seattle area?

I'm trying to figure out, where the "bad" areas of town are where the cheapest areas, close to school are.

I have a wife and 2 kids so I'm looking at renting a 3 bedroom during school -

I know one thing - housing is expensive in Seattle. Any input on this would be very helpful.
I believe there are some student housing options. For example, Blakeley Housing near U-village is for married students... not sure about the pricing though. As for bad areas, I echo not going North of 45th.. that's some pretty sketchy area. Public transportation is good, but only if you're near one of the main lines that goes through campus.

There are several complexes around the village and west of campus that would be the best bet if you want to avoid commuting. I've lived north of 45th for almost 4 years now and it's not where you want to be with a family. However, up northwest a bit is Greenlake where my brother lives and Northgate also has a lot of possibilities. Also look into Fremont, Wallingford, and possibly Ballard. Anywhere else is gonna be pretty expensive. Capital Hill is a very...different...environment that I wouldn't particularly care to live in plus it's quite a bit longer of a commute.

I know the area pretty well so pm me if you have any specific questions. I work weekends for a Bellevue real estate company that does mostly condominiums but I'm assuming you're looking for an apartment so that probably doesn't help much. Good luck.

There are several complexes around the village and west of campus that would be the best bet if you want to avoid commuting. I've lived north of 45th for almost 4 years now and it's not where you want to be with a family. However, up northwest a bit is Greenlake where my brother lives and Northgate also has a lot of possibilities. Also look into Fremont, Wallingford, and possibly Ballard. Anywhere else is gonna be pretty expensive. Capital Hill is a very...different...environment that I wouldn't particularly care to live in plus it's quite a bit longer of a commute.

I know the area pretty well so pm me if you have any specific questions. I work weekends for a Bellevue real estate company that does mostly condominiums but I'm assuming you're looking for an apartment so that probably doesn't help much. Good luck.

I wanted to say the same about Capitol Hill but didn't know how to express it :D

bwtucker: i'll see you in the fall =)

Since you said you had children, would you consider moving to Bellevue? It kind of all depends on the environment you want. Bellevue is much cleaner, safer, and more "suburban" than Seattle. Also has a great school system. The commute isn't too bad, I know many people who live in Bellevue but get to UW everyday (15 min driving if no traffic).

Other than that, Sand Point area in Seattle would be good too (quiet, suburban-y). I would avoid Capitol Hill if you have kids.

It is spendy here but there are many ways to make it work. Avoid at all costs, the Eastside - Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond. Period. No question. It's absurd the amount of time spent on that bridge.

Bus transport here is tops as is bicycle commuting. I ride in 3 miles each way every day. No problem. I live in Wedgwood and it's great. Wallingford, Fremont, Montlake, Ravenna, Green Lake... they're all safe, close to the UW and desirable places to live.

Capital Hill is a very...different...environment that I wouldn't particularly care to live in plus it's quite a bit longer of a commute.

Capitol Hill is great! Especially if you are pedaling or bussing to campus! I disagree with each of these points entirely. But hey, that's just me.

I agree with previous post about avoiding Bellevue and East of lake Washington in General. Commute could be a disaster there... I also think it is more expensive there than, for example, in Lake City. Lake City is a nice place to live (cheap and relatively close)

I forgot to mention... at the HUB Building on "upper campus" there is a Student Housing Office. Check it out. It provides top-notch leads for any conceivable housing situation you could want. Shared, sublets, roommates, family-friendly, pets, etc etc etc. You can post there for free and read free ads to your heart's content. There are maps that correlate the posts to the housing locations as well. I have used this service over the years many times. I doubt UW SoD mentions it, so I will.

Someone mentioned considering Bellevue... absolutely no way. Besides the prices of anything nice in Bellevue being ridiculous, just TRY commuting across 520 for a week and see if you don't wish harm upon yourself.

Thanks everybody. That info definately helps. Are there any neighborhoods of Seattle are Ghettos ( I know this term is relative as I used to work in the Ghetto of Detroit, which is horrible.) - Like maybe Rainer Beach....

I can't wait to go to school in Seattle - It is going to be awesome.

I'm planning on Busing or Biking to school everyday - so I'm trying to live within a 5 to 7 mile radius of the school.

Nowhere that people have suggested are low-income neighborhoods. Those are almost solely present in west seattle, which is where places like rainier beach and white center are.

ummmm why don't we have a facebook group yet??

Thanks everybody. That info definately helps. Are there any neighborhoods of Seattle are Ghettos ( I know this term is relative as I used to work in the Ghetto of Detroit, which is horrible.) - Like maybe Rainer Beach....

I can't wait to go to school in Seattle - It is going to be awesome.

I'm planning on Busing or Biking to school everyday - so I'm trying to live within a 5 to 7 mile radius of the school.

If you worked in inner Detroit, Seattle's "ghettos" will seem docile (not to mention un-ghetto-looking). Of course there are gangs and gang shootings and drug traffic and things like that, but for a major city the prevalence and severity of these problems are minuscule in relative terms. All of the neighborhoods that used to be real-ish ghettos are becoming rapidly gentrified by rich yuppies who are strategically buying all the land along the new light rail line. Many of the problems have been pushed into the suburbs like Kent, Tukwila, Seatac and Federal Way.

The neighborhoods I might think twice about walking through alone at 2am are the Rainier Valley/Beach, the Central District (directly east of downtown), White Center, and Boulvard Park. Again, unquestionably safer than bad areas in most major cities, but still not the best.

My personal favorites are Fremont, Greenlake, and Ballard. Each is a little different, but they're all safe and pretty close.

Last edited:
I will NEVER live nearby UW campus - 1) Too expensive 2) Too dirty 3) Too noisy

I would say look around Greenlake or Northgate areas. Only 1 bus to get to the school...and around 15 min. on bus.

G'luck! :thumbup:

I will NEVER live nearby UW campus - 1) Too expensive 2) Too dirty 3) Too noisy

I would say look around Greenlake or Northgate areas. Only 1 bus to get to the school...and around 15 min. on bus.

G'luck! :thumbup:

I wouldn't say never... I live 2 blocks away from campus (to the west) and it is not noisy here at all, neither it is as dirty as some other places I saw. It is a bit more expensive to live close by though.... I am trying to find another apartment farther away right now because of prices:). You would definitely be able to save ~$100 (if considering 1 bdr apartment) of rent if you live 3-4 miles away from campus.