What is the estimated average debt for private schools if I were to apply next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HighHopesHere

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im in-state california. I'm hoping to apply to UCLA/UCSF next year because it's cheaper but they're also very competitive, so I was wondering, assuming I have to head towards privates, what would be the average debt since tuitions increase every year?

Would it be possible to have 200-300k debt excluding housing costs? My parents are insisting to pay some of it off but I feel really guilty because when I pitched the idea of dental school to them, costs weren't as bad as they were now. So I'd like to take out loans, at least for D2-D4.

This is only my second post so Im very sorry if I asked in a wrong way

Members don't see this ad.

You might get away with less than $300k at LECOM, for school costs but not counting living expenses. but a lot of private schools out there cost significantly more. Stay away from midwestern, ATSU, NYU, and USC, - all of these schools will be closer to $400-$500k on school costs alone, not counting living.

My least expensive school was my state school UofMinnesota @Ryxndek can tell you the estimated cost. Other than that, for me UNE was close to $320kish (school costs), and Roseman will be $330k but only for 3 years (I get to save a year), so add a year of income as a GD.

Start researching the schools that you would be interested in. UCLA & UCSF would save you some money if you are able to get accepted. what are your statistics? gpa, sgpa, DAT

Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 8.46.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 8.47.50 AM.png

^ includes estimated living costs. $31k a year for UCLA, $33k a year at UCSF.
*Note this is also 2020; it will be more expensive than the image above; you can ask on the forms here at specific schools to see the estimated/actual costs for 2023 will be.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the most part, public schools are going to offer the cheapest tuition compared to private schools. Private school tuition alone is anywhere from 70-100k not counting living expenses. Whereas state schools can vary from 20-70k a year. I believe UMN, my school, is around 70k a year from D2-D4 and 50k for D1. I would say that's on the more expensive side of state schools. So for state schools not counting living costs, you could expect a max of ~280k in tuition, or 300-330k after interest give or take

Reactions: 1 user
You might get away with less than $300k at LECOM, for school costs but not counting living expenses. but a lot of private schools out there cost significantly more. Stay away from midwestern, ATSU, NYU, and USC, - all of these schools will be closer to $400-$500k on school costs alone, not counting living.

My least expensive school was my state school UofMinnesota @Ryxndek can tell you the estimated cost. Other than that, for me UNE was close to $320kish (school costs), and Roseman will be $330k but only for 3 years (I get to save a year), so add a year of income as a GD.

Start researching the schools that you would be interested in. UCLA & UCSF would save you some money if you are able to get accepted. what are your statistics? gpa, sgpa, DAT

View attachment 368683
View attachment 368684
^ includes estimated living costs. $31k a year for UCLA, $33k a year at UCSF.
*Note this is also 2020; it will be more expensive than the image above; you can ask on the forms here at specific schools to see the estimated/actual costs for 2023 will be.
Thank you for the information. I haven't done the DAT yet (planning to this year), but my GPA for both is 3.8. After reading a bit I think the best course of action financially is to aim for state schools that allow me to obtain residency. For california, UCLA and UCSF are ultimately my goal but Im struggling to get a dental assistant position (which would give me a really good shot at those schools). I've spoken to a few matriculants at those schools and for the most part their GPA's were in the 3.9 range so it's not a guarantee but I will work on it.

For the most part, public schools are going to offer the cheapest tuition compared to private schools. Private school tuition alone is anywhere from 70-100k not counting living expenses. Whereas state schools can vary from 20-70k a year. I believe UMN, my school, is around 70k a year from D2-D4 and 50k for D1. I would say that's on the more expensive side of state schools. So for state schools not counting living costs, you could expect a max of ~280k in tuition, or 300-330k after interest give or take
Thank you :) I was hoping to stay in California but worst case scenario I'm going to have to look at state schools outside of it. I was actually thinking about TX A&M however the acceptance rate for OOS was close to 1 or 2% so I need to do a little more research.

Thank you :) I was hoping to stay in California but worst case scenario I'm going to have to look at state schools outside of it. I was actually thinking about TX A&M however the acceptance rate for OOS was close to 1 or 2% so I need to do a little more research.
You’d have to be a stellar app or have great ties to the state to stand a chance for TX schools.

Reactions: 1 users
For the most part, public schools are going to offer the cheapest tuition compared to private schools. Private school tuition alone is anywhere from 70-129k not counting living expenses. Whereas state schools can vary from 20-70k a year. I believe UMN, my school, is around 70k a year from D2-D4 and 50k for D1. I would say that's on the more expensive side of state schools. So for state schools not counting living costs, you could expect a max of ~280k in tuition, or 300-330k after interest give or take
Fixed that for you. Can't forget about good 'ol USC. And that's purely tuition and fees...without cost of housing and living. I love the "Topping student aid fund" fee in their breakdown lol. Talk about nickel and diming

• Haha
You’d have to be a stellar app or have great ties to the state to stand a chance for TX schools.
Most of my family lives there but I don't think thats even close to having great ties ;(. Maybe I should've listened to my friends and done my UG there lol

Most of my family lives there but I don't think thats even close to having great ties ;(. Maybe I should've listened to my friends and done my UG there lol
You might be able to change your address to your family’s and switch your residency to Texas if you finesse it the right way.

I'll make sure to look into it but my attendance at a UC might be a huge flag to them.
People go to college out of state all the time. An annoying part is you'd probably have to pay OOS tuition at UC the last years if you're able to switch to Texas residency, and that's only for the chance at getting accepted to a Texas d-school. Idk the ins and outs of this by any means but yeah look into it to see if it's feasible and worth it for your given circumstances. I may or may not have had a family member do this but that's when he was applying to undergrad in one state when he'd been living and working in another for some years, so his circumstance was definitely different than yours. Good luck

I like that you think it’s more or less as easy as listing some family member’s address in Texas as yours.

Big Hoss
I do not. It was hard for my family member to do it but they got it done in a timely manner.

Edit: It took more than just simply switching their license. With "change your address to your family’s and switch your residency to Texas if you finesse it the right way", I meant changing the address as one step as well as finessing it via other implementations.

Last edited:
Im in-state california. I'm hoping to apply to UCLA/UCSF next year because it's cheaper but they're also very competitive, so I was wondering, assuming I have to head towards privates, what would be the average debt since tuitions increase every year?

Would it be possible to have 200-300k debt excluding housing costs? My parents are insisting to pay some of it off but I feel really guilty because when I pitched the idea of dental school to them, costs weren't as bad as they were now. So I'd like to take out loans, at least for D2-D4.

This is only my second post so Im very sorry if I asked in a wrong way
this information is readily available online...