Second attempt step 3 and cardiology fellowship

Started by Cards987
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cards987

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello.

I unfortunately didn't match. Had only three interviews and all from references. I'm not sure if I should apply next year or not given my step 3 issue. I'm an IMG/ J1 visa/ university IM program/ posters yes but no first author publications/ 4 publications but not first author on any of those/ step 1 230/ step 2 230/ cs pass first attempt/ step 3 second attempt 195.

Given that I have an attempt on step 3, I was wondering if my application is gettingfiltered out and hence not even worth it the next time. If that's the case , then no point doing a one year echo/chf and enhancing cv with research. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.
 
Do you have a chance with your home program?
Have you spoken with the PD or chief of cards at your home program? They may give you insight.

I am surprised that as an IMG you couldn't churn out one single poster as first author? Was cards a late decision?
It doesnt seem like you did anything extra to get you into cards (research, posters, strong away rotations these are the things that give IMGs a chance)

the Step 3 might be a factor. But its not the end of the world. People have matched with attempts. But they usually compensate with something very strong (most a times research)

The subspecialty fellowship serves to give you a chance in the institution that u rotating