Second Bachelors McGill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorLion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So last June I obtained a masters degree in Library and Information Science from McGill university. I have previously gotten a bachelors degree from a US university in English literature. I always thought that I wanted to be a librarian until I went into library school and realized that it wasn't for me. I just couldn't do the course work because I was dreadfully bored of the material. In short, I lacked total motivation and pulled out of the program with a 3.2 GPA

My bachelors GPA was around a 3.358 (however I did my B.A. in 2 years).

Since I do not have a background in psychology, I am going to get a second bachelors degree in psychology. So I read somewhere that McGill bases it's decisions on the last two years of your study. Since I have a masters degree, do any of you have an idea as to what level of education they will base my GPA on. I am certain that I will have at least a 3.8 GPA if I get a second bachelors in psychology. However, will they still look at my master's GPA (the dismal 3.2?). Am I wasting my time? Please help :(

My goal it to get into McGill (first choice) or Concordia's Master's psychology program.
Info about me:

I'm 24 years old.
I didn't do a thesis, but I took a research class and published a research paper on the history of library science.
I am an international student from the USA.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

They almost certainly won't use your Master's grades, especially because your Master's degree is not in psych. But we can't tell you for sure.

You could call the graduate program administrative assistant and ask-- That's likely the only way you'll get a solid answer. The internet can't really help you with this one. :)

What type of psychology degree are you interested in doing? research or clinical?

As far as I know for clinical, one cannot just do masters at Concordia or McGill.. one applies to masters but really it is for a PhD too.

Maybe try social work or counselling?

IMHO Concordia has a far superior psychology department than at McGill, especially for clinical.

As far as I know, if you do a second degree they will just base it on the psychology degree. Keep in mind if you're thinking of clinical @ Concordia or McGill it is super competitive. If I were you I would also try to see if you can get Quebec permanent residency (i'm also an international student in Psychology) as you will receive little to no funding otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much WesternSky! Your responses are always so helpful :) I have a little hope now! But I will take your advice and call them tomorrow to make sure!

I am interested in Clinical Psychology. I was originally interested in studying Psychology at McGill because McGill seems to have a better reputation than Concordia. Also, my first impression of Concordia is that it does not have as many training facilities for students in the Clinical Psychology stream. McGill's website seems to have so much more. Plus, they have their own hospitals. Am I wrong about this?

Thanks for the advice about the permanent residence! I will definitely be applying for that. Do you mind also giving your opinion on what would make me a competitive candidate for the admissions committee in regards to McGill or Concordia? I will be getting my second B.A. in Psych from Concordia. What should I be focusing on doing while I am at school? (Besides getting a high GPA?)

I am interested in Clinical Psychology. I was originally interested in studying Psychology at McGill because McGill seems to have a better reputation than Concordia. Also, my first impression of Concordia is that it does not have as many training facilities for students in the Clinical Psychology stream. McGill's website seems to have so much more. Plus, they have their own hospitals. Am I wrong about this?

Thanks for the advice about the permanent residence! I will definitely be applying for that. Do you mind also giving your opinion on what would make me a competitive candidate for the admissions committee in regards to McGill or Concordia? I will be getting my second B.A. in Psych from Concordia. What should I be focusing on doing while I am at school? (Besides getting a high GPA?)

Actually Concordia has an in-house clinical training facility whereas McGill doesn't. Don't be fooled by the name. McGill is known internationally, for sure, but not for all degrees.

Also at the undergraduate level at Concordia the class sizes are smaller (I was at mcgill then transferred to concordia after two semesters). I know all my professors sometimes even on a personal level and they know me, which is super important when you want letters from them.

Getting a high GPA is important, however, research involvement is probably more important.

Grade inflation is a huge deal at Concordia and I presume also at McGill, the problem is a lot of people graduate with a BA in psychology with super high GPAs and obviously want to go for the clinical route. This creates a huge demand and not enough supply because each admission place requires a supervisor. The key is to get into a lab early and try to get to know your professor as much as possible.

I don't want to sound harsh, but the reality is clinical psychology is extremely tough to get into. It's not necessarily because the actual work once admitted is difficult but when you have so many stellar applicants, and so few places, it becomes difficult. So you should keep in mind this. Also try to take 5 courses a semester.. this will show that you're capable of handling a full courseload.

Also are you planning on doing an Honours degree? One needs to do it to apply. I would take a look at this site, it's run by Honors Psychology program advisor at Concordia and has a few tips on getting into graduate school (specifically in psych).

http://mygraduateschool.com/index.html

I'm a clinical student at Concordia, I can definitely say that the program is in no way inferior to McGill's. I know several people who have transferred from McGill to Concordia precisely because they liked Concordia's atmosphere, faculty, and opportunities better. Concordia also has an in-house training clinic, which makes a lot of the clinical training easier, and there is also the option of staying on for the internship here, meaning that basically everyone always matches for the pre-doctoral internship. There's also lots of options for participating in externships and research elsewhere. I collaborate with a McGill psychiatrist, and some McGill/University of Montreal researchers, and also with researchers at the Sir Mortimer Jewish General hospital. Lots of opportunities, lots of options.