Second Bachelor's or Postbac? (For financial aid/tuition and fees purposes)

Started by gbvan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gbvan

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Earlier today I was reading about the SFSU career changer postbac, and I noticed a little fine print that I hadn't been made aware of beforehand:

Please note: Recent changes in federal policy has reduced the financial aid available to Formal Post-Bacs. At present, because the Formal Post-Bac Program confers a certificate and not a degree, students are only able to receive federal financial aid for one year (three continuous semesters), starting when the student joins the program. Thereafter, students can still get financial aid through private loans and scholarships. Students facing this issue can also work part-time while taking classes part-time... We presently are working to remedy this situation by converting the Formal Post-Bac Program into a 2nd-Bac and/or Master's degree program.

Since all of my postbac options (SFSU, Mills and Scripps) are either a) two years, b) exceed the maximum unsub federal loan for one year or c) both, I'm trying to explore other avenues since financial aid is really the only thing that makes going to school possible for me, and private loans are out of the question (bad credit).

Reading this made me start looking into other options, and I'm wondering if someone can fill me in on the pros and cons, academically and financially, of pursuing a second baccalaureate degree. Right now, since I can do the unsub loans, AND tuition is cheaper than a postbac, this seems like the more financially appealing option to me, although postbac is more academically and intellectually appealing.

Right now, I'm looking at CSUEB program because it's close, the tuition is cheap (lower than the unsub Stafford limit), and they accept second bac students.

I'm also wondering if there are Master's programs like the SMP, but for career changers?