second career questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExploringDental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a health care provider (licensed midwife) with a private practice, and I am considering dental school. A few questions:

Since I am working, it would be very hard for me to do all of my pre-reqs at a university. Would admissions committees consider this if I took science classes at a community college, or would it still be a negative on my application to have the cc classes?

Will my background as a healthcare provider be a plus to the admissions committees, or is it just like another extracurricular activity?

Are any particular schools more family friendly than others? I have a young daughter. I understand that dental school hours are intense, but I'm just wondering if any particular schools have better family services, daycare, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a health care provider (licensed midwife) with a private practice, and I am considering dental school. A few questions:

Since I am working, it would be very hard for me to do all of my pre-reqs at a university. Would admissions committees consider this if I took science classes at a community college, or would it still be a negative on my application to have the cc classes?

Will my background as a healthcare provider be a plus to the admissions committees, or is it just like another extracurricular activity?

Are any particular schools more family friendly than others? I have a young daughter. I understand that dental school hours are intense, but I'm just wondering if any particular schools have better family services, daycare, etc.

My opinions:

1. The CC classes will definitely be a negative compared to taking classes at a 4 year university. The admissions committee will take in account the fact that you are working, but I don't think that working will completely offset the fact of taking classes at a CC.

2. Healthcare provider is a definite plus in that you can interact with patients and that it has a similar patient care background compared to dentistry.

3. Don't know about family schools.