Second chance after missed residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBK11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the talk of the residency shortage, I started to wonder what happens if someone does not land a residency after graduation? Do they reapply for the following year? Is it impossible to land one the second time around after missing it the first time?

Members don't see this ad.

With all the talk of the residency shortage, I started to wonder what happens if someone does not land a residency after graduation? Do they reapply for the following year? Is it impossible to land one the second time around after missing it the first time?

I believe there is a preceptorship program for such graduates, where they work directly underneath a licensed DPM for approximately a year until they can reapply for the match in the following cycle. I don't think they can legally do much more than an MA since they are treated as unlicensed healthcare providers. I heard that the reapplicant success rate for these individuals is typcally very good, but there are a very limited number of seats available.

You reapply next year. I understood the reapplicant success rate was not very good (correct me if I'm wrong), but it's not very useful to talk about reapplicant success rates, since this year's reapplicants are not the same as last year's. In other words, the reapplicants from 2-3 years ago might have been largely poor students overall, whereas this year and last year, people who were eminently qualified were not getting residencies just because it's a tough job market. We'll probably do better next cycle (sorry, class of 2014).

What to do? Everyone seems to be hoping for a preceptorship, either through the AAPPM or one of the non-affiliated ones that crop up. Tonight, the AAPPM will be having a webinar with more information on what they are offering.

Another possibility is to try for an MBA or MPH or anything you could conceivably finish in 1 year, though that's more of a stopgap measure, and it's not clear how it would improve your odds of matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
The re-applicant match rate is pretty consistently right around 30% every year.

The re-applicant match rate is pretty consistently right around 30% every year.

I wonder if any re-applicants who failed to match could give some insight into what they are doing. Given that the majority don't match a second time around, it would be interesting to see how they are dealing with the loan repayments, and/or are still active in the podiatry community.

I believe there is a preceptorship program for such graduates, where they work directly underneath a licensed DPM for approximately a year until they can reapply for the match in the following cycle. I don't think they can legally do much more than an MA since they are treated as unlicensed healthcare providers. I heard that the reapplicant success rate for these individuals is typcally very good, but there are a very limited number of seats available.

This depends on the state. I believe there are currently 4 states that do not require a residency to practice, therefore a preceptor can be a fully licensed DPM and not an MA. Of course the preceptor will function as a resident in the OR amd will have to be under the supervision of an attending, since no hospital that I know will allow privileges without a residency for recent grads. Any level of non surgical hospital privileges is dependent on individual hospital bylaws.

I wonder if any re-applicants who failed to match could give some insight into what they are doing. Given that the majority don't match a second time around, it would be interesting to see how they are dealing with the loan repayments, and/or are still active in the podiatry community.

They probably make more money as drug reps and in orthotic/shoe sales.

Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

They probably make more money as drug reps and in orthotic/shoe sales.

Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

I took this as a possibility, but from my brief exposure to pharmaceutical sales, you have to be one hell of a speaker, which is a talent that few possess. It is hard gig to come by! I would like to know, however, if the former students are still part of the podiatric pie.

With the background knowledge that one would have after going through school, getting a metal/hardware sales job wouldn't be perfect

I just hope by the time we are graduate this problem gets better, not compounded worse =/