second guessing myself, post-interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longcatislong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While overall i feel good about my interviews, after every single one i second guess every answer i gave. I review in my head my answers, and always come up with more i wanted to say, and better ways i could have expressed myself. Although my interviews didnt feel awkward, i always fear that i bombed, that my interview skills are trash. What if i end up getting rejected or waitlisted everywhere?

It's just so agonizing having to wait until Dec 2nd for any sort od decision.

Anyone else share these feelings?

Members don't see this ad.

Longcastislong.. I feel like that for every single interview, specially b/c for most of my interviews, I had a big jet lag. Thankfully, I am so busy that sometimes I forget how slow the time goes..

Longcastislong.. I feel like that for every single interview, specially b/c for most of my interviews, I had a big jet lag. Thankfully, I am so busy that sometimes I forget how slow the time goes..

Oh my, jet lag and lack of sleep (due to cheap hotel bed and nerves) certainly don't help. I've felt like a zombie so much this past month.

Members don't see this ad :)
tell me about it..... certainly, the inability to think clearly made me give some bad answers hahah...

I think its natural for people to think how they could have improved. It just depends on what you do with that energy, learn from it or dwell. I suggest not to dwell, I mean you can't change it anyway now.

Reactions: 1 user
I know exactly what you are talking about, I only felt like I did really well in one of my interviews, in all the others I felt like there was at least one answer that could have bombed my chances. It's so hard waiting!

I think its natural for people to think how they could have improved. It just depends on what you do with that energy, learn from it or dwell. I suggest not to dwell, I mean you can't change it anyway now.

Basically how I felt. There was bombed (which didn't turn out well), but for others just the feeling that I could have done better was definitely there. I think you get more slack cut than you think. They understand traveling with school and nerves. That's different than really bad interviewing. I hate to be mean to the fellow, but the shared Temple experience isn't an isolated event. That is some of your competition out there. You did better than you think...unless that video was acceptable to you.

I am the exact same way, haha. I find myself playing through the interviews I've had when I'm at random places by myself - walking to class, in the shower, wherever! Things are always 20/20 in hindsight but like Jeffity mentioned, I think they give us some slack. They know this is a very big deal for us and of course we're going to be nervous. Even though we pump the interviewers up in our minds to be these exceptionally professional people... at the end of the day they're just humans too (maybe this sounds a little weird but thinking about it like this helps me relax more). I just hope I'm able to correctly distinguish between being a little nervous and bad interviewing... ah the roller coaster ride of emotions that is applying to dental school! :D