Second guessing on exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bumblebee20

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips on how to stop second guessing on exams?
I pick the right answer but somehow I convince myself that the question is tricky and pick another answer and end up getting the question wrong. I just got my grade back for microbio and I could've gotten four questions correct if I didn't second guess. I have had this habit for a while and I'm having a hard time avoiding to second guess. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Members don't see this ad.

When you're going back through the exams and you think another answer might be right, explain to yourself why you chose your original answer. If your reasoning behind that answer makes sense, leave that answer. This way, you can still go back and fix any legitimate mistakes that you made while hopefully avoiding "fixing" right answers.

Reactions: 1 users
I had this issue in anatomy & physiology and microbio as well and I pretty much stopped checking my exams. Anything I wasn't sure about I'd leave empty and fill in at the end since these are classes where u either know or don't. I have occasionally made the stupid mistake since then that could've avoided had I double checked but that's a rarity compared to how many points I'd lose by second guessing myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had this issue in anatomy & physiology and microbio as well and I pretty much stopped checking my exams. Anything I wasn't sure about I'd leave empty and fill in at the end since these are classes where u either know or don't. I have occasionally made the stupid mistake since then that could've avoided had I double checked but that's a rarity compared to how many points I'd lose by second guessing myself.
Ditto

You have to apply The Willpower simply to not do this.

Put an answer down and then walk away from it.
Any tips on how to stop second guessing on exams?
I pick the right answer but somehow I convince myself that the question is tricky and pick another answer and end up getting the question wrong. I just got my grade back for microbio and I could've gotten four questions correct if I didn't second guess. I have had this habit for a while and I'm having a hard time avoiding to second guess. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Okay thanks for your advice, I will try that!

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes you have to gauge the prof too. Generally, especially at big box schools, the professors are just putting straight forward answers they have pulled from test banks. I have an Ochem professor however who pulls the most difficult questions and I've found that a second look generally results in a "better" answer (the "oops, I missed that steric hindrance allows a violation of the zeitsev rule" type problems")