Second Guessing PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

'fraidyCat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I am having a little... more like a major, dilemma. Through undergrad I was pre-PT because it is a very secure field, PTs are in-demand, and the salary is good. I did all my shadowing experiences and never really loved it. It was okay, but I wasn't ever gung-ho. Turns out I was taken off the waitlist at the only school I was accepted to and they offered me a spot. I sent in the $500 tuition deposit at my parents' urging, but I'm just a little wary of continuing in this direction. Coming out of an undergrad exercise science program (and really not liking it much) I find myself pretty burnt out academically. I struggled to make Cs in anatomy and physiology despite working my butt off. There is also the concern I have about debt. Including living expenses plus my tuition, I will have to take out about $120k. Thankfully I do not have undergrad debt, but I am concerned about the debt: income ratio. What if I want to start a family when I'm 28 or 29, but can't because I'm still going to be paying off $1000+ a month in loans until I'm 37!?

I guess I am seeking advice from current students and practicing PTs: given my lack of passion for PT, and the struggle I had at the undergrad level in probably the two most important core classes, would you say it would be a mistake for me to go to PT school in August? Or should I give it a go? I don't think my heart would be in it, but I would hate to not go and then wind up regretting that decision five years down the road. My alternative at this point is to find a job... anything really. I have also been looking into OTA programs or even going for my masters in OT, but that would require some extra pre-reqs that I don't have. Plus, the debt would be pretty bad from an MOT program. My parents really really want me to go to PT school and I wish I could say that I am super excited, but I'm just not. The last thing I want to do is go through PT school and start working only to find out I don't really like it much. Or at the other extreme, I don't want to forgo PT school and become an OTA and 10 years later wonder why I "limited" (my mother's word) myself with a community college program.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading that super long post!

Members don't see this ad.

I can only offer you words of support based on my own experience. I am most likely headed to PT school this year in September. I worked various jobs both high paying and low paying. The common denominator is that I did not like (actually hated) the fields that I were in. No amount of money could buy happiness for me. Physical Rehab was/is something that I am passionate about and Physical Therapy is an avenue that I am pursuing that can allow me to express these passions.

With all that said, it sounds like that your heart is not into it. Personally, I would advise you not to take on this challenge unless you are 100% ready. There is a lot of time, effort and money that you will be putting in the next 3 years should you take that road. Who knows.. your wishy washy perspective may not allow you to make it through the rigors of PT school. When I was doing things that made me unhappy I was not in debt.. I couldn't imagine doing something that you don't like AND being in debt. I urge you to find your passions in life first... and if you feel that PT ultimately is the right decision for you then charge it like no tomorrow.

Sounds to me like you need to listen to your heart... This is YOUR life that you are going to live, not your parents' and although they may be disappointed if you don't go into PT, they should understand that it is not something you're passionate about... I am passionate about PT and had many, many days of wanting to quit- let alone being in a program pursuing something that my heart wasn't into...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you already know what to do. Going through PT school is a big commitment and requires a lot from an individual--financially, cognitively, physically, and socially. If you don't have the passion and the drive to go through with it, it'll only be harder on you. If there's a feeling in your gut that this isn't the right path for you, then your gut is probably right.

We need PTs that love what they do because the patients and coworkers will be able to sense if you have a passion (or lack thereof) for what you're doing.

If you don't want to go to PT school and don't think it is worth the debt, please do not go. Not only will you not be a good student, but you won't be a good therapist. You will probably withdraw after a term or two and then you will have even more debt. If rehabilitation doesn't interest you, you will not pass PT school. Find something else.

I would recommend taking a year off, have some fun, relax, hang out with friends, etc. Seems like you need some time to figure out what you want to do. There's nothing wrong with down time..

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with everyone else here. You have given plenty of reasons not to go to PT school, and not a single valid reason to go. There's nothing wrong with taking some time to figure out what you'd like to do, or taking some prerequisites that you might need for whatever path you choose. Many of us have done that.

Thank you everyone for your advice. It's very helpful to hear some outside perspective.

read up on paye and ibr loan repayments....at your likely salary it will give you a more realistic repayment amount and you can make a more informed decision

FWIW, shadowing is significantly more boring than actually doing. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not going to comment on whether I think you should or shouldn't go to PT school, but I'll say this: I believe your decisions should lean more towards what your heart wants than what you think you might regret later.

I'm with the rest of the world on you not going to PT school this year. I took two years off after undergrad to figure out my goals in life which worked out really well because I found PT! But I'm curious to hear about your OT aspirations.... if you know that OT is the way you want to go, that's great! Good job security, gratifying career, I would consider it if it weren't for PT or if my little sister wasn't already an OT (can't copy!). But my thinking is OT > OTA because you can get a lot more autonomy that way.

If you want to some ideas as far as where to go from here with your probable year off, PM me.

I'm in PT school (for only two weeks so far) and this anatomy class is 10x harder than my undergraduate one. If you worked your butt off and still got a C then you run a big risk of getting under a 70% here which will get you dismissed for a year until you can join next years class for a retake. If you're not ready to work, don't go. I wasn't prepared for how much WORK there is. I slacked off for one week and now I'm drowning trying to catch up

i just started a few weeks back and ppl have already started talking about dropping from the program. if your heart isn't in it do not go. you will be taking the place of someone who actually wants it. if you don't have the drive to even start the program chances are you will be part of the class that will either be kicked out due to poor grades.

If your only reasons for going are so you can't regret not going and parental pressure... don't go. You can always reapply next year if that's the decision you come to, no regrets.
Personally, I can't imagine even making it through PT school if your heart isn't in it. And if you do make it through and regret the choice, you'll be kicking yourself for many years to come... every month as you make that student loan payment!

Another option is to ask the school if you can defer entry into the next year's class. I don't know if they will allow it or not, but the worst they will say is no. Not one of us on this forum can tell you what you should/should not do, as we are not you. Only you can make that decision.

If I was in your place I would not go, the lack of passion for the field and struggles through some of the core course work would be a red flag for me. Also if you go and drop you have taken the opportunity AWAY for a potential PT to get into the program.

If you think that OT is the way to go, it is not a lesser field, just a different one. And if you think you would rather go COTA or PTA, both offer lucrative and rewarding careers depending on where you place yourself in a job. Don't limit yourself by doing what others think you should.

How did you manage to get accepted if you struggled to get C's in probably the most important subjects? What school did you get accepted at? I would say definitely do not go to PT school if your heart isn't in it. Find your passion and go for that instead. It's your life.