Second language acquisition problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello helpful SDNrs, especially you neuropsych folks.

Does anyone know of any good sources on assessment protocols for testing second language acquisition problems? I'm not finding a whole lot with my search terms, whether using "second language" or "foreign language." The question is about what measures to give for a person who presents with difficulties learning a second language and would like to waive the college language requirement. I've seen this presenting question several times over the last few years but I haven't found any good literature on this issue, which makes assessment mighty difficult. Help?

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on the second language...there may or may not be much/any research available. If you are comparing two Romance Languages (RL), then I think you'll find some supportive literature that can speak more directly to language acquisition whether it be written or spoken. In general, the structure of words and their meanings are more similar than different because they are often derived from the same source languages. As such, phonemes and morphemes (they are the basis building blocks of word structure) should be more similar than different. In contrast, spoken Mandarin (trad? and modern?) has a focus on tones and inflection, which can completely change the meaning of a word/phrase. The result of this is a much more confusing (to a non-native speaker) approach to phonemes and morphemes because tone can be so nuanced. Is this reason enough for an accomodation...I don't know because I'm not a peds neuro or SLP, but I can imagine a diagnosed language disorder (or hearing impairment) could really jack things up. Short of a prior Dx. of a learning disorder, it'd probably be difficult to get something waived. Maybe the kid should try Latin? :laugh:

Most research that I'm familiar with focuses on early childhood acquisition of multiple languages (1st & 2nd generation immigrants are/were popular study groups), though maybe there is some stuff on later language learning. You can probably start with the early stuff and see who referenced it later on. You can also try searching for 'language acquisition' and similar more SLP-centric terminology.

School psych often deals with language acquisition concerns, but as T4C says, there isn't as much direct research. From a theoretical perspective though, if you follow CHC theory, then certain areas of cognitive ability could be expected to be associated with new language acquisition, even if there isn't the corresponding deficit in academic achievement required for a learning disability. I have written up a recomendation for the waiver of a language requirement based on weak associative memory, weak auditory discrimination, and poor past performance in language. I believe the recomendations were followed, however this was at the high school level, not the college level.