You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Second Language
Started by Animal Midwife
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I know learning a second language is useful for the human medical field. Would it be just as helpful in becoming a vet?
Yes. You have to talk to pet owners. A lot find Spanish useful depending on the area you work in
Agreed. It depends on the area, but Spanish is widely helpful. I speak Russian and German though and have only used it a handful of times, mostly to make the clients feel more comfortable and to break the ice. Learning another language will never hurt you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Russian would have helped in a few cases at my clinic!Agreed. It depends on the area, but Spanish is widely helpful. I speak Russian and German though and have only used it a handful of times, mostly to make the clients feel more comfortable and to break the ice. Learning another language will never hurt you.
Spanish and depending on the area, Chinese, are the biggest 2.
I'm bilingual (English is not my native tongue) and have found it to be helpful on several occasions. I've also acted as a translator for some of my coworkers too.
Oh wow, too cool. I guess it depends on where you practice. I've had a couple Russian speakers here in So. Florida and back when I lived in CA, but down here it's mostly Spanish. Aside from Spanish, it's pretty uncommon to find a client that doesn't speak enough English to get through the visit. It's fun to catch people off guard though when they find out you speak their languageRussian would have helped in a few cases at my clinic!
Spanish and depending on the area, Chinese, are the biggest 2.

On a side note - Can anyone tell me if writing Rx directions in any language other than English is acceptable? We were having this discussion at my clinic and nobody knew the answer. Thoughts?
I think it is acceptable but I would include English just in case. But since we don't have an official national language, I don't see why you couldn't as long as you made sure to put in the notes what you wrote (and the translation)Oh wow, too cool. I guess it depends on where you practice. I've had a couple Russian speakers here in So. Florida and back when I lived in CA, but down here it's mostly Spanish. Aside from Spanish, it's pretty uncommon to find a client that doesn't speak enough English to get through the visit. It's fun to catch people off guard though when they find out you speak their language
On a side note - Can anyone tell me if writing Rx directions in any language other than English is acceptable? We were having this discussion at my clinic and nobody knew the answer. Thoughts?
This doesn't answer your question, but one of the vets I work with once told me to never put "give once daily" on prescription labels for Spanish-speaking clients, since "once" is Spanish for "eleven." I guess she once had a client think they were supposed to give the medicine eleven times a day. 😱On a side note - Can anyone tell me if writing Rx directions in any language other than English is acceptable? We were having this discussion at my clinic and nobody knew the answer. Thoughts?
Oh wow! The more you know, right? I only learned up to 10 in kindergarten...This doesn't answer your question, but one of the vets I work with once told me to never put "give once daily" on prescription labels for Spanish-speaking clients, since "once" is Spanish for "eleven." I guess she once had a client think they were supposed to give the medicine eleven times a day. 😱
The clinic I just left enforced SID meds to be written as "Give ___ every 24 hours," BID as "Give ___ every 12 hours" and so on. It's interesting to learn how clients can misinterpret something you thought you wrote out very clearly, English speaking or not.
I agree Chinese is probably a good idea these days.Russian would have helped in a few cases at my clinic!
Spanish and depending on the area, Chinese, are the biggest 2.
Oh wow! The more you know, right? I only learned up to 10 in kindergarten...
The clinic I just left enforced SID meds to be written as "Give ___ every 24 hours," BID as "Give ___ every 12 hours" and so on. It's interesting to learn how clients can misinterpret something you thought you wrote out very clearly, English speaking or not.
It's not uncommon for clients to think once daily to mean anytime during the day as long as it's the next calendar day, etc...
You learned Russian AND got to use it! Wow.Agreed. It depends on the area, but Spanish is widely helpful. I speak Russian and German though and
have only used it a handful of times, mostly to make the clients feel more comfortable and to break the ice. Learning another language will never hurt you.
Haha! Good thing the client called up before administering the medication!This doesn't answer your question, but one of the vets I work with once told me to never put "give once daily" on prescription labels for Spanish-speaking clients, since "once" is Spanish for "eleven." I guess she once had a client think they were supposed to give the medicine eleven times a day. 😱
Being bilingual helps you in any field, not just the veterinary field. It opens so many doors. With the growing hispanic and latino population, Spanish as a second language is becoming more and more useful. I learned English during my kindergarten-first grade years, but if you have the opportunity to learn Spanish (or any language for that matter), don't let that opportunity pass.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K