Second Look Conundrum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfvgang22

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've completed a half dozen interviews so far, and now I've been sent a letter, asking me if I'd like to do a second look interview at one of the programs. It's a nice feeling of course, but I have two issues:
1. I'm low on cash, and I still have a couple more interviews I really want to do, and this program is an expensive plane ticket from where I'm at now, and
2. Though I like the program a lot, it's probably going to end up in the middle of my rank list due to it's distant location from here.​
I don't want to give the impression I'm not interested in the program at all and so get removed from their rank list. After all, I would certainly be happy to go there for residency if the choice were to match at this program or scramble and have no training position after graduation.

My question is: How could I decline the invitation for a second look interview and still show a decent level of interest? Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've completed a half dozen interviews so far, and now I've been sent a letter, asking me if I'd like to do a second look interview at one of the programs. It's a nice feeling of course, but I have two issues:
1. I'm low on cash, and I still have a couple more interviews I really want to do, and this program is an expensive plane ticket from where I'm at now, and
2. Though I like the program a lot, it's probably going to end up in the middle of my rank list due to it's distant location from here.​
I don't want to give the impression I'm not interested in the program at all and so get removed from their rank list. After all, I would certainly be happy to go there for residency if the choice were to match at this program or scramble and have no training position after graduation.

My question is: How could I decline the invitation for a second look interview and still show a decent level of interest? Any input is appreciated.

They will understand that it is a lot of time and money to do a second look. I would simply send a letter saying that you greatly appreciate the invite but due to issues of money, time, and the difficulty of getting time off it wouldn't be possible.

I will be doing 12 interviews and budgeted for 2-3 second looks. But I don't know whether all 12 will happen or if I'll do second looks at all that many places.

For what its worth the feedback from SDN seems to indicate that second looks neither help nor hurt you in the application process from a rank list perspective.

They will understand that it is a lot of time and money to do a second look. I would simply send a letter saying that you greatly appreciate the invite but due to issues of money, time, and the difficulty of getting time off it wouldn't be possible.

I will be doing 12 interviews and budgeted for 2-3 second looks. But I don't know whether all 12 will happen or if I'll do second looks at all that many places.

For what its worth the feedback from SDN seems to indicate that second looks neither help nor hurt you in the application process from a rank list perspective.

Thank you for the objective opinion, I'll do that.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agree--and as you respectfully decline, it will be good to include a few nice program-specific comments to them about their program and why you are continuing to consider them as an excellent place to do your training. That will leave no doubt that your "no thank you" is really a practical issue as opposed to a kiss off. (Believe me, we understand that the programs all start running together after 5-6 interviews! Sometimes you really have seen enough!)

Agree--and as you respectfully decline, it will be good to include a few nice program-specific comments to them about their program and why you are continuing to consider them as an excellent place to do your training. That will leave no doubt that your "no thank you" is really a practical issue as opposed to a kiss off. (Believe me, we understand that the programs all start running together after 5-6 interviews! Sometimes you really have seen enough!)

absolutely. Personalizing it will indicate to them that you really did pay attention during the interview afterward and are considering them based on their unique qualities.