Second Look Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we've seen on another thread that a student got an acceptance rescinded for a drunken comment on a second-look, my question is what is the etiquette for a second look weekend? It seems like a number of these weekends involve bar-hopping of some sort, but what is the expectation on these events? Heck, on my interview weekend my host took me out for Sake Bombs.

Does anyone who's been on a second look that involved copious amounts of alcohol care to shed some light and input?

...and I was looking to have a ball at WashU this weekend...:(

Members don't see this ad.

Well, at the second looks that i've been to there were a bunch of people that drank quite a bit, but for the most part they acted within reasonable limits. As i posted in the other thread, at one second look some of the adcoms were at the bar drinking with us. However, there were also a lot of people that had no drinks or one or two drinks.

I would recommend not drinking too much, especially if you are a light weight or if you can't handle your alcohol/don't remember what you've done the night before. It is definitely not worth risking your acceptance for one good night out.

I think it's trolling. I got wasted at all my second looks, because quite frankly it's the only way to tolerate the barrage of what's your name/school/major x 150. I suppose if you pulled a Michael Richards they might do something, but if you shout out racist slurs when you drink you (hopefully) know that by now. I saw some pretty crazy behavior at second looks without anybody caring too much, and quite frankly I don't give a crap what the 2nd look kids coming this year do. In fact med school could use a few more entertainingly unpredictable people. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
So we've seen on another thread that a student got an acceptance rescinded for a drunken comment on a second-look, my question is what is the etiquette for a second look weekend? It seems like a number of these weekends involve bar-hopping of some sort, but what is the expectation on these events? Heck, on my interview weekend my host took me out for Sake Bombs.

Does anyone who's been on a second look that involved copious amounts of alcohol care to shed some light and input?

I've never heard of anyone screwing up that bad at a second look to lose the acceptance. But I've met a guy who had a lawfirm job offer rescinded for public urination at an event after drinking. So I suggest not doing that.:D

All med school functions (at least at my school) have involved free and unlimited amounts of alcohol. Mostly bottles of beer and glasses of wine, so nothing too strong (no kegs or anything), but still, it's enough to get you drunk it you want.

This, however, is NOT an invitation to get totally wasted. The expectation is that you drink however much you want, but not to drink enough to cause a drastic change in your behavior. It's similar to a cocktail party that you might attend if you worked in the corporate world. The alcohol is just to get conversation flowing so that you'll meet people.

I believe that they do similar "bar-hopping" stuff for residency interviews. Obviously, in that case, you have to be even stricter with yourself.

On your interview weekend, your host's only obligation is to keep you alive and give you somewhere safe to sleep. Some choose to entertain you, but the interpretation of "entertainment" is very loose. Some people take this to mean popcorn and a movie, while others take this to mean...sake bombs.

I've never heard of anyone screwing up that bad at a second look to lose the acceptance. But I've met a guy who had a lawfirm job offer rescinded for public urination at an event after drinking. So I suggest not doing that.:D

You're missing the fun discussion that MSTPdad started...

Well, we also don't know what the student said, or if just a few drunken comments was really the extent of his misbehavior...because a) who knows what he remembers, and b) if he did something outrageous enough to get his offer rescinded, do you think he'd tell his dad all the details? (The poster on the other thread apparently is the student's father).

I think as long as you stay within your limits, and aren't an a*hole to students/staff, you're fine. :)

somewhat off topic, but, i heard that for accounting students, when they go for their intro training session at a new employer, theres something like a gathering or party w/lots of alcohol..the prospective employer wants to see who gets drunk/rowdiest first, so they can make sure to dismiss them from the program

somewhat off topic, but, i heard that for accounting students, when they go for their intro training session at a new employer, theres something like a gathering or party w/lots of alcohol..the prospective employer wants to see who gets drunk/rowdiest first, so they can make sure to dismiss them from the program
That was the definite rule I thought I'd follow for second looks. I didn't want to be *that guy,* but if others do first...

That was the definite rule I thought I'd follow for second looks. I didn't want to be *that guy,* but if others do first...

...that, and there's plenty of time to get trashed at orientation....

...that, and there's plenty of time to get trashed at orientation....

But how else are we going to extract that secondary fee from schools we don't attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
The second look I went to was also at a bar, but I think most everyone only had 1 or 2 beers. I had one when I first got there, but figured it best to not take any chances. It was a good time nonetheless though.

The second look I went to was also at a bar, but I think most everyone only had 1 or 2 beers. I had one when I first got there, but figured it best to not take any chances. It was a good time nonetheless though.

That's how it should be.

I'm amazed that some people think it's appropriate to drink larges amounts of alcohol at gatherings like this. It's a professional-social outing...you have a couple of drinks and mingle, get to know people, network. There's nothing wrong with going out and drinking with buddies, but this is not one of those occasions.

Number one: Apparently he goes crazy when he drinks.

Number two: He has his father following him around trying to clean up his messes.

Good job Ad Com, this kid is a mess and he needs to lose his dad and join a 12step program.

I have past roommmates that are now consultants and accountants at some of the country's largest firms. They generally have some sort of nation-wide training session that most people have to travel to and they provide copious amounts of booze to go along with the nice hotel and all of the otherparty favors. All of them got sh1tface and had the time of their lives, but none of them got kicked out of the program. I even had to pick one up at a bar downtown Minneapolis as his friends carried him into the backseat of my car. THey all still work for their respective companies and make good $$. I think medical students would probably be held to a higher standard though.

p.s. what was this other thread that was referenced? I want to know what the guy said (if it was even posted)

Good job Ad Com, this kid is a mess and he needs to lose his dad and join a 12step program.

Whoa there, chief. A bit premature to get righteous given that we don't even know what was said.

A 12-step program? Really? I would argue that, if anything, his performance probably indicates that he doesn't drink that often. Are there functioning alcoholics? Absolutely. This isn't one of them.

I'm sure that you're joking (at least...I hope that you are) but just to be safe - even if other people at the gathering get $#*!-faced first, do not think "oh, it's okay, I'm not the only one." That will not stop people from telling the adcom what stupid, unprofessional things slipped out of your mouth while you were getting trashed.

AnEyeLikeMars - I totally agree with what you said. It's an incredibly dumb idea to get wasted at a school-hosted event.

If orientation/second look is one big drinkfest, what about those of us who do not drink or go to bars?

Whoa there, chief. A bit premature to get righteous given that we don't even know what was said.

A 12-step program? Really? I would argue that, if anything, his performance probably indicates that he doesn't drink that often. Are there functioning alcoholics? Absolutely. This isn't one of them.

Thank you.

I love how whenever someone drinks too much on one occasion and it's made public it's suddnely a "drinking problem", completly trivializing the thousands of people with serious chemical dependancy.

Thank you.

I love how whenever someone drinks too much on one occasion and it's made public it's suddnely a "drinking problem", completly trivializing the thousands of people with serious chemical dependancy.

coughTedKennedycough

If orientation/second look is one big drinkfest, what about those of us who do not drink or go to bars?

I never went to a second look, but there's plenty of time to get to know your peers without going to the bars at night during orientation. And the true bonding doesn't really occur until you bring in the cadavers anyways. If you're not going to go out there's no point buddying up with the super lushes of you class anyway. There are plenty of people in my class who don't show up to our parties but have plenty of friends.

Forgive me but I do not know what a second look is. I have been accepted to medical school but they never said anything about a second look. Is this something that some schools do and others don't?

I never went to a second look, but there's plenty of time to get to know your peers without going to the bars at night during orientation. And the true bonding doesn't really occur until you bring in the cadavers anyways. If you're not going to go out there's no point buddying up with the super lushes of you class anyway. There are plenty of people in my class who don't show up to our parties but have plenty of friends.

I hope you're right about this. I have a second look coming up and at this point of my life I'm tired of the frat/sorority hijinks (not everything about the societies, just the binge drinking activities). Never appreciated them before and seriously doubt I'll enjoy being dunked into it again.....

I hope you're right about this. I have a second look coming up and at this point of my life I'm tired of the frat/sorority hijinks (not everything about the societies, just the binge drinking activities). Never appreciated them before and seriously doubt I'll enjoy being dunked into it again.....

Now lets not start talking crazy. ;) I'm not quite ready to completely give up on all my hijinks, and I have been out of frat life for quite some time.

Frank The Tank! Frank The Tank! Frank The Tank! :p

Forgive me but I do not know what a second look is. I have been accepted to medical school but they never said anything about a second look. Is this something that some schools do and others don't?

Second look isn't offered at all schools, and at some schools its only offered to a select group of students (i.e. ones they really want, or sometimes only URMs). Its a chance to look at the school again before the decision deadline so that you can make a better choice between the schools; it also is often used to find housing before school starts. Mostly though its a chance to get drunk and sleep with your future classmates...:biglove:

Second look isn't offered at all schools, and at some schools its only offered to a select group of students (i.e. ones they really want, or sometimes only URMs). Its a chance to look at the school again before the decision deadline so that you can make a better choice between the schools; it also is often used to find housing before school starts. Mostly though its a chance to get drunk and sleep with your future classmates...:biglove:

:idea:

Uh, wait ..... I'm married. Crap. :(

Now how am I supposed to bond? :p

Yes, and because of this, well, I'm sure your SO would understand :wow:

"Honey, it's like ... a requirement, and stuff."

"It's not personal, it's networking"

"If you think that's bad, you should see what the gunners do!" :eek:

Hmmmmm. Ah well, social outcast it is. ;)

Just as well; I suppose if all those lines failed you'd be donating your body to medicine :eek: