"second-look" visit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moya moya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-
Don't know if someone has already asked this question, but I'm wondering if anyoone has gone back to a program for a "second-look" visit. I have heard that it is a good idea to do this if you are very interested in a program because it shows your enthusiasm for the program. However, how does one go about scheduling this visit? Would you just call the residency director, program coordinator, or department chair? Secondly, what exactly happens at a second look visit? Do you ask to interview/meet more faculty & residents, or do you just attend some of the conferences or rounds? Finally, when do you think is a good time to schedule this visit? Would it be wise to go a couple of weeks before rank lists go in, or sometime sooner?

Thanks for everyone's help during this process. Good luck to all of us!

Members don't see this ad.

moya moya said:
Hi-
Don't know if someone has already asked this question, but I'm wondering if anyoone has gone back to a program for a "second-look" visit. I have heard that it is a good idea to do this if you are very interested in a program because it shows your enthusiasm for the program. However, how does one go about scheduling this visit? Would you just call the residency director, program coordinator, or department chair? Secondly, what exactly happens at a second look visit? Do you ask to interview/meet more faculty & residents, or do you just attend some of the conferences or rounds? Finally, when do you think is a good time to schedule this visit? Would it be wise to go a couple of weeks before rank lists go in, or sometime sooner?

Thanks for everyone's help during this process. Good luck to all of us!

Check this out:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=238744

My understanding on a second look you basically just hangout on the wards and see rounds/conferences.

Logically, it would seem to be the best time to schedule a second look is January.

I personally don't see the value of second look. You can achieve the same thing by sending the program director a letter stating that you LOVED their program and are ranking them #1, so on and so forth...