Second look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grunermann

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is on the gen res. board, but I hear so many conflicting things. Most psych programs officially say they understand it's expensive to travel and don't expect students to come back. But, I really want my number 1. Are most people gonna do a second look for a couple of places?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I'm going to do a second look at one of my frontrunners during a trip back to L.A. when I interview at two other programs. Didactic learning is one of the variables in which I place a lot of value, and the place I'm curious about offers seconds looks during their didactic day.

Also, the residents were super-cool during my interview day...I need to make sure they aren't Stepford Residents during a more casual period. :)

watto said:
I think I'm going to do a second look at one of my frontrunners during a trip back to L.A. when I interview at two other programs. Didactic learning is one of the variables in which I place a lot of value, and the place I'm curious about offers seconds looks during their didactic day.

Also, the residents were super-cool during my interview day...I need to make sure they aren't Stepford Residents during a more casual period. :)

I'm going for that reason too and to MAKE SURE that the "feeling" is still there and that it wasn't a fluke :) Also will return to number two to make sure the "no feeling" doesn't show up when its not the formal interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Along the lines of a "second look" -- would anyone do an elective at a program, say in February, if they really wanted a spot there? I have the opportunity but it would be a big expense to do it, not to mention it would be a little nervewracking at the end of interview season... any advice? :confused:

tiger4evr said:
Along the lines of a "second look" -- would anyone do an elective at a program, say in February, if they really wanted a spot there? I have the opportunity but it would be a big expense to do it, not to mention it would be a little nervewracking at the end of interview season... any advice? :confused:

nervewracking eh? i say save yourself the time, the cost and the trouble of wasting an entire elective block. admit yourself as a patient there to get a true sense of what the program is about, then leave ama just like everyone else. ;)

When do most people go on second looks? I'm interviewing until the end of Jan. Is Feb too late?

Hurricane said:
When do most people go on second looks? I'm interviewing until the end of Jan. Is Feb too late?

I'm sure early Feb would be great Hurricane - I'm starting adv. surgery in Feb so I'll be doing mine in late Jan and cancelling some interviews :)

I got the feeling that 2nd looks were really more for the applicant. I'm not sure how much they move you up in the rankings. Though it always comes down to your comfort level in the end with what you want to do.

Another way of expressing interest in your number one is to tell them directly they are your first choice, to have someone (like a letter writer, Dean, etc.) also call or write the program director to confirm that a program is your first choice (so the PD knows you are really serious and asking someone "objective" to back you up), and e-mail or talk on the phone to residents to ask more questions (as that interest often gets communicated up to the PD). This is all most useful in January, probably, as the PD is putting together the rank list then and has an idea of where you will be on the list (though they may or may not give hints).

If you are able to travel, it is nice for your own piece of mind to see how the program looks on a non-interview day, and what the residents are like in their natural settings. But I still feel it is more for you than for the PD.

I did only one 2nd look, though I had done an elective at my first choice.

willow212 said:
I got the feeling that 2nd looks were really more for the applicant. I'm not sure how much they move you up in the rankings. Though it always comes down to your comfort level in the end with what you want to do.

Oh, I'm not doing it to suck up. Since I have no idea where I want to go, my plan is to narrow it down to a couple programs, then bring my husband along to see how he likes the area, since he's gotta move with me.

Hurricane said:
Oh, I'm not doing it to suck up. Since I have no idea where I want to go, my plan is to narrow it down to a couple programs, then bring my husband along to see how he likes the area, since he's gotta move with me.

Those are definitely the right reasons to do a second look. Good luck! :luck: