second look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

guillanbarre

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I have been invited back to my top choice for a second look. I will be attending rounds, noon conference and clinic...basically getting a feel of a day in the life.

My question is, what should I be doing during rounds etc, should I contribute/ask questions etc? Or just be a silent observer?

Also, what is the general consensus on how important a second look is...apart from showing that you are really interested in the program, does it help to push you up on the rank list? I have been told that they ranked me highly (??), so I am not sure what to think...
 
My program does not factor the second look into their decision-making for the match. It's all for you. But I can't speak for everyone.

Because it is all for you, I would think you should feel free to ask questions about the day-to-day stuff you're supposed to be there to get a flavor for. I would try not to focus on the individual patients -- you're not there to wow anyone and it isn't supposed to be an educational exercise. When you leave the second look, you should have a better idea about the residents you would be theoretically working with, the prevailing attitudes, the attending-resident interactions, the patient load, the nursing quality, ancillary services, etc.

Hope that helps.