Second looks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeff2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm already thinking of paying a 2nd visit to one or two programs I interviewed with in October. My memory of them, and certainly their memory of me, is fading. Is early February the time to visit? When do programs finalize their rank lists? What about doing an away elective at a top choice in February?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually looked up the deadline for rank order list entry for both applicants and programs (but for different reasons--I'm trying to get an extension for my Step 2 CK so I can take it at end of January). The deadline is 9 PM EST on February 23rd. So I think visiting in early February would be good timing on your part. Doing an away rotation, IMHO, may be overdoing it a bit unless you know for sure that this program will be ranked #1 on your list.

I second that...it seems most programs I've applied to are finished interviewing by mid-Jan. So probably late Jan, early Feb is the best time for a 2nd look.

I wouldn't do an away rotation either, but then again I am trying to cram in as many non-path-related electives as possible prior to residency, something I will likely regret when it comes time to actually know pathology. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't want to do an away elective, you could spend a day or two rotating with their surg path department. That would give you a look at the program when it's not in interview mode so you could see a little how things run and not have to do an away elective.

Doctor B. said:
If you don't want to do an away elective, you could spend a day or two rotating with their surg path department. That would give you a look at the program when it's not in interview mode so you could see a little how things run and not have to do an away elective.

Are most programs OK with that? I think I'd like to sit in on signouts and conferences just get a better sense of the atmosphere. Who do you usually contact when asking for a second look?

Mrbojangles said:
Are most programs OK with that? I think I'd like to sit in on signouts and conferences just get a better sense of the atmosphere. Who do you usually contact when asking for a second look?

I would think programs would be OK with that and would reflect positively on your evidence of interest in their program into consideration when ranking you. You can contact the chief residents if you know their email or call the secretary who scheduled your interview or the program director for that matter.