second looks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have finished my interviews now and am thinking a lot about my rank list. I have the bottom figured out but absolutely can't figure out what my top choice would be. I am considering doing second looks at two places that are some of my top contenders and are places I have only been once.

Has anybody else done or is doing second looks? Was it worth it and did it help you make your decision?

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi beary-

I actually just got back from a second look today. I had never planned on doing one, but the program was one of my top 2 choices and at the end of my 1st interview they invited me back for a second look and even encouraged one. I am now really glad I went because it has convinced me that this is the program for me, whereas before I was really torn between my top 2. It served a few purposes... I got to know the program better by sitting in on sign out and in the gross room, I got to know the city much better as I had a whole extra day to explore, my husband was able to accompany me on this visit, and finally I think it really stressed to the program how interested I am in their program, and vice versa.

So if the program seems okay with second visits I would definitely consider one, at least for your top 1-2 programs. The sense of relief I felt when I realized that I knew this program was my #1 was great. Of course it did cost an arm and a leg because I could not find cheap airfare for 2, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck!

For whatever its worth (probably not much ;) ), I'm not going to do any second looks. I'm not sure how much more I would learn from spending a second day visiting a program. There is still gonna be a lot that you are not going to be able to appreciate about the program so I'm not convinced its worth it. Of course, its an individual decision - I could see it being useful if you just couldnt decide between two programs, but personally I'd rather just make a decision based on the information that I already have than incure the further travel expenses and spend the time to do second visits...I'm pretty confident in the top 3 or 4 of my rank list though so that may color my view of this a bit...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not doing any second looks but that's because I rotated for a month at both my first and second choice programs. I agree with Chipleader in that I think its really hard to learn too much more about a program from one more day of visiting. However, if you are undecided on your rank list, it may still be worth it since it would give you a better feel for the program.

PS. If a program offers an all paid second visit though I would probably not turn it down but no one has offered it to me though!!

miko2005 said:
PS. If a program offers an all paid second visit though I would probably not turn it down but no one has offered it to me though!!

Yeah, no programs have offered it to me either. And expense is definitely an issue.

I think by the time I figure out if I should do a second look, it will be time for us to turn in our rank lists. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't really recommend spending the money to do a second visit if it's really out of your way. The exception to this case is if you're having a hard time deciding between let's say #1 or #2 on your ROL. This is understandable...in fact, you're gonna be making an important choice this coming March...you want to make the best informed decision. You don't want to regret your decision when you start your residency this summer.

Do second visits for YOURSELF...not to schmooze and try to get yourself higher on the program's rank list.

AngryTesticle said:
IThe exception to this case is if you're having a hard time deciding between let's say #1 or #2 on your ROL. This is understandable...in fact, you're gonna be making an important choice this coming March...you want to make the best informed decision.

Unfortunately this is exactly my situation. I think I will not do any second looks and just email folks I am lucky to know at these institutions (Iowa alums and such) and try and get as much info as possible.

beary said:
Unfortunately this is exactly my situation. I think I will not do any second looks and just email folks I am lucky to know at these institutions (Iowa alums and such) and try and get as much info as possible.
Well that works too. I only did one second visit last year and that was because it was the holidays, my parents lived nearby this institution, and it was very easily arranged. I didn't do this to schmooze...I did it because scutwork reviews that existed at that time slammed this institution's program and I wanted to do more investigating.

I was gonna do more second visits...but in the end, I was exhausted and I couldn't muster up the motivation. Plus, I figured that if not doing second visits would in some weird way lower me on every program's rank list so that I wouldn't match, I would do a postdoc anyway. No skin off my back.

AngryTesticle said:
I was gonna do more second visits...but in the end, I was exhausted and I couldn't muster up the motivation. Plus, I figured that if not doing second visits would in some weird way lower me on every program's rank list so that I wouldn't match, I would do a postdoc anyway. No skin off my back.

I am exhausted too - actually cancelled my last three interviews. But I am spending every minute thinking about my top choices and how to rank them.

I don't really feel that second looks would help me match - I would not be doing it to schmooze/move up on the list. You certainly were more relaxed than I am about not matching! I definitely want to match and don't want to go straight into a postdoc.

What was above is definitely true: If you are doing a second look to make yourself look better to the program, stop now. Just send a letter or call and say they are your top choice (if they are in fact your top choice!). That works just as well.

yaah said:
What was above is definitely true: If you are doing a second look to make yourself look better to the program, stop now. Just send a letter or call and say they are your top choice (if they are in fact your top choice!). That works just as well.

I would totally agree with this... I wouldn't have done that second look for this reason. Really I don't think I would have done it just to pick between 1 and 2 to be honest. I did it because I wanted my husband to visit the city and see what he thought, although it ended up helping me a lot in the long run.

yaah said:

Remember also that, as you are having your second look, the program is also having a second look of... you! I agree with the above: if you think your interview went well, I would not use the second look to convince a program that it is my first choice.

I would only use the second look to decide between my top 2 (at the most 3) choices and only if they are really close otherwise. Second looks also tend to be more disorganized and laissez faire (other applicants might be interviewing at the same time, etc.) and thus don't necessarily reflect the program's opinion of you and your application.

I'm glad that the residents agree on this issue. Hopefully folks will take this advice and will not spend their hard earned cash on second visits for the wrong reason. Spend your money on other things...like going out and having fun. Enjoy your 4th year of med school!

pathres2 said:
Remember also that, as you are having your second look, the program is also having a second look of... you! I agree with the above: if you think your interview went well, I would not use the second look to convince a program that it is my first choice.
This is true but to be honest, a lot of times they have usually made their full opinion of you and you coming back for a second look doesn't really mean anything. Maybe they will ask the residents what they thought of you. Second looks are for your benefit and they aren't evaluating you during them.

yaah said:
This is true but to be honest, a lot of times they have usually made their full opinion of you and you coming back for a second look doesn't really mean anything. Maybe they will ask the residents what they thought of you. Second looks are for your benefit and they aren't evaluating you during them.
Yeah dude...unless you do something outrageous and go to the chairman's office during this second visit, pull your pants down and jettison a hot steaming load of turd.

I say this facetiously; however, there is some seriousness to it. Further exposure to a program can hurt you if you let your guard down and act inappropriately such that a program sees something negative in you that they didn't see before. Remember, at many places, residents can have a say...if you piss someone off, word will spread.