second opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anezthezia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i have a question for you guys: i have a family member recently diagnosed with CLL. his oncologist mentioned (unprompted) that he would prepare a packet including all tests/imaging in the event a second opinion was desired. we are still awaiting finalization of all the testing and a subsequent treatment regimen. my question is if a second opinion is something that we should look into as a matter of course - is it a normal expected thing in your field? for what it is worth i have confidence in his oncologist but want to make the smart decision, obviously.

i am curious to hear the thoughts of practicing oncologists on advising patients on second opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

hi all,

i have a question for you guys: i have a family member recently diagnosed with CLL. his oncologist mentioned (unprompted) that he would prepare a packet including all tests/imaging in the event a second opinion was desired. we are still awaiting finalization of all the testing and a subsequent treatment regimen. my question is if a second opinion is something that we should look into as a matter of course - is it a normal expected thing in your field? for what it is worth i have confidence in his oncologist but want to make the smart decision, obviously.

i am curious to hear the thoughts of practicing oncologists on advising patients on second opinions.
Although this borders on medical advice, I'll go ahead and answer it.

For super straightforward stuff, or things on which I am actually an expert, I don't usually bring it up, but if the patient asks, I will offer recommendations both inside and outside of my system.

For rare/crazy stuff, or things I don't see a lot (for instance, I've been in practice 6 years and have treated a grand total of 3 patients with high-grade lymphoma, I see that many patients with colorectal or breast cancer in the first hour of my clinic day), I will offer, or recommend a second opinion.

There's no right answer.

not fishing for medical advice but understand with re-reading my post how it is not clear. simply wanting to know if it is all but an expected thing in your field.

thanks for the response.