second residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PGY2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After completing one residency, do we qualify for funding to do a second residency? I am about to finish IM but am considering doing something else... please advise..

DrREG

Members don't see this ad.

the way I understand it, due to the new HCFA guidelines, you only get funding for the primary residency. (i.e. if you do internal medicine, you will only get three years of funding and any other 2nd residency that you may do will not be covered). this does not apply to fellowships. some residencies will decide to eat the costs if they really want you, but the loss of funding definitely puts you at a disadvantage. Now, let's say that you were doing surgery which is a 5 year residency and you decide after your 2nd year to do internal medicine, then you still have three years of funding so it wouldn't be a problem.

This is what I found on the Maricopa emergency medicine residency web page:

Do you accept residents with prior training?

Due to hcfa funding changes for Emergency medicine initiated in 1996,
we are unable to accept applications from anyone with fewer than three
years funding remaining. For example, someone matching into a five-year
residency and leaving after two years would still have three years eligibility
remaining. Those matching into a three-year (or less) residency and having
completed one (or more) years of training would be ineligible to apply to
our program. Transitional internships (including osteopathic internships) and
provisional years count as a year of training and make a person ineligible to
apply to our program.

I think it's best if you go and ask the programs individually about their policy regarding previous residencies. Hope this helps.

-James