• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW

Second Residency

NatureWalk

2+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2017
  1. Medical Student
Hi all,

Has anyone here done two residencies? Something like IM then obgyn? etc.

Does anyone know if having completed one residency will help you in the application process for a second?

Thanks!

About the Ads

Dr. Death

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2015
It'll help but it's not something you should plan on doing
I don't think it'll help. You won't be viewed as a graduating senior and you've already sucked up 3-7 years of GME training. The goal of GME funding is training new doctors. Training one person twice does not fulfill that goal. Furthermore, why would anyone want an IM attending in their OBGYN residency or vice versa?

Reactions: 3 users

Doctor-S

Grand Rounds Clinical & Research
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2016
Hi all,

Does anyone know if having completed one residency will help you in the application process for a second?

Thanks!

1. Yes, double residencies happen, but not very often.
2. Not necessarily ... because everyone else (including those who are applying for their *very first* residency, for the first time, for the same slot) will be in the same line. I once had a dialogue with a PD about a similar situation. The PD told me he preferred first-time applicants because they already knew they wanted to apply for the specialty slot and he wanted those first-time new applicants. The message I gleaned from the PD's response was ... why should his program give a valuable slot to someone who has already completed a residency; and then they changed their mind, and wanted to pursue a second residency? What happens if they change their mind, and withdraw, and then my program is down a doc, when my program could be dedicating valuable time and resources in the training of a new doc? Well, at least that was the extent of our conversation.

Reactions: 2 users

BBQisgood4u

2+ Year Member
May 2, 2019
  1. Medical Student
I know a doc who did psych, practiced for a few decades (had his own practice in a major city), and then decided to do an EM residency.

His practice is still active and he employs a few psychiatrists, but he probably wanted to switch it up which I find extremely interesting.

Reactions: 1 user

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Last House on the Block, USA
  1. Attending Physician
What makes it actually complicated and therefore hard to match a second residency for this reason (if you really wanted to do it) is the funding from Medicare through GME to support your residency training. Each trainee has (up to) FIVE years of full funding and then a training program has to start getting more creative in how to pay you during the extra time in residency. GME can get half the money for a trainee at the 5+ year mark so there is a gap that obviously needs closed probably to the tube if around $50,000 the program would need to find or have sitting around (grants, endowments, etc)

Davidfromcali

7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2014
  1. Medical Student
I met a pediatric surgeon who first did a pediatrics residency. Her peds PD felt that she had the demeanor and personality of a surgeon so after the three years of peds, she went to a gen surg res and then the peds surg fellowship.

Interesting route to say the least.

Reactions: 1 users

jurassicpark

Sith Overlord
2+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2018
Death Star III
  1. Attending Physician
Hi all,

Thanks!

I got offered to do a second residency at my hospital as I was completing my first as they had lost one of their interns and offered me a PGY-2 spot. I was flattered that they liked me and wanted me in, but for the life of me, no :

a) Another three years of residency
b) another three more years of incurring debt
c) I wouldn't know what to do with both residencies, you can't really do both at the same time.
d) there's only so many times you can order the same thing at the cafeteria grill
e) I trashed the call room

Reactions: 4 users
About the Ads

ACSurgeon

Acute Care Surgeon
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
I met a pediatric surgeon who first did a pediatrics residency. Her peds PD felt that she had the demeanor and personality of a surgeon so after the three years of peds, she went to a gen surg res and then the peds surg fellowship.

Interesting route to say the least.

so she was outwardly aggressive instead of passive aggressive?

Reactions: 11 users

Naruhodo

2+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2016
I know a senior peds resident applying into derm. At least won't have to repeat intern year, but yes, not the easiest path. I also know of a pediatric pathologist who switched to pathology after a miserable intern year in peds, but that seems like quite a different scenario and not really what you're asking about.

El-Rami

5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2015
I know a doc who did psych, practiced for a few decades (had his own practice in a major city), and then decided to do an EM residency.

His practice is still active and he employs a few psychiatrists, but he probably wanted to switch it up which I find extremely interesting.

How does he afford the pay cut during his 2nd residency? Did he just not have an active mortgage on his house or loan on his car anymore? Otherwise it seems too cost-prohibitive just to spice things up a bit.

Anecdotally, I also "know" (more like a friend of my parents) someone who switched from OB/GYN to psychiatry. I wouldn't say it was a good idea.

ACSurgeon

Acute Care Surgeon
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
How does he afford the pay cut during his 2nd residency? Did he just not have an active mortgage on his house or loan on his car anymore? Otherwise it seems too cost-prohibitive just to spice things up a bit.

Anecdotally, I also "know" (more like a friend of my parents) someone who switched from OB/GYN to psychiatry. I wouldn't say it was a good idea.

the post said the kept his psych practice and employed psychiatrists. If he had a successful business he probably had enough saved up or at least incoming revenue.

Also, some people don’t plan to be tied to expensive monthly payments until they retire.

Reactions: 1 users

bsmith123

Dec 26, 2020
  1. Attending Physician
Hello - I have searched the internet trying to answer my own question but so far no luck. If I graduated from a US med school, completed a full residency and I'm now applying to a different residency program, am I able to use NRMP? ERAS? If not, what is the process?

hurdler13

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
You go through ERAS. Contact your medical school and inform them that you are planning a second residency- they will/can certify your eligibility and can assist with providing a token to allow you to register. I am not sure if you can purchase the token yourself. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.