Second Thought questions

Started by MD2B007
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MD2B007 said:
Ok I know this doesn't sound good but what happens if someone just signed up and then all of a sudden has second thoughts? Once you're commissioned is there no turning back? Even if you didn't get anything yet, not even an ID card. -Just feeling a little anxiety over the whole Iraq thing.

Wow, a little anxious over the Iraq thing!? Did you not realize that wars have something to do with the military, or that you might have to participate in one? Or did you think medicine in the MILITARY was exempt.....wow, I'm baffled......you're right, it doesn't sound good.....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for totally not answering my question at all. Perhaps I should clarify that I am not in the military and have not signed anything yet. I'm asking a hypothetical question. And about the Iraq situation. I was specifically refering to the situation with the prisoners and the excessive deaths. I want to know if things get worse right away if someone can change their mind.
 
No, you won't be able to change your mind. What you sign is a contract...just like with any other large corporation. If it is in the interest of the corporation to break the contract, then they will....but that is almost never the case.
 
militarymd said:
No, you won't be able to change your mind. What you sign is a contract...just like with any other large corporation. If it is in the interest of the corporation to break the contract, then they will....but that is almost never the case.

Exactly what militarymd said. On top of the contract, you swear/affirm an oath when you are commissioned. I realize this means little to a lot of people these days, but if that means something to you, you have that to contend with as well.

The highly irrevocable nature of your being commissioned is the basis of so many of the people on these boards pleading with those interested in HPSP/USUHS/FAP to take the time to become informed about military service before signing up.
 
Desperado said:
I also believe some people left the first week or two of boot camp, and all they paid back was what they had received. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

A buddy of mine got out after OBC and after receiving the scholarship for a year. If you push it hard enough you may be able to get out.

Ed
 
I know a guy who got out of his Army ROTC contract (2 years into it) by getting a lawyer, but it was a long and messy process.
 
We had one army guy, get out of his contract after the end of 1st year. He went to OBC and found out that he didn't like being a soldier. No money to return. I thought this was kind of weak.

As an adult, read the contract before you sign, then honor your signature and word as binding. Pretty simple idea. Remember, they pay for school and then have a commissioned officer and physician for the length of your contract. You may do things during your short career that wasn't in your crystal ball.
 
We covered this ground with a thread awhile back, I don't want to search it out to link, but MD2B, you probably should have a look. You should not accept the scholarship, period. Your current doubts are enough of a warning sign. As for those of you taking the easy out with a free year of school under your belt, I hope you never lose that unclean feeling of cowardice and dishonor. You're adults, you signed a contract and you swore to protect and defend...some of us actually take oaths seriously. See the prior thread...
DD
 
I don't know how much experience you have with the military but perhaps you need more exposure. Unfortunately you must make a decision without the benefit of prior military service. If possible, see if your recruiter can arrange spending some time on a post or base with the opportunity to observe training. I believe your second thoughts are due to fear of how you may behave or of the unknown- as indicated by what you wrote. The treatment of the Iraqi prisoners is an aberration. It should repulse you. If that is what has caused your second thoughts, don't think that you are expected to tolerate that sort of behavior in the military. You might also be scared of combat, which is natural and healthy, especially since you have not received any training. You have no confidence because you have not been taught how to act in those situations. I recommend reading On Killing by LtCol Dave Grossman for a more detailed explanation of some of your feelings.
As for getting out of the obligation, if it becomes apparent during your initial training that you are "failing to adapt" then you will be able to leave. If you took any scholarship money expect to pay it back.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad