Second Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Solideliquid

Members Only
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to have second thoughts about getting into psych. OB/GYN was what I wanted to go into before I did a few psych rotations and changed my mind. But I always had a little voice in the back of my head saying I may regret my decision to not go into OB (no I don't need zyprexa :) ).

Now with all the talk about matching or not I have started thinking more and more about what will happen if I do not match. I am going to rank 6 programs in this match, and it is possible I will not match as I am an IMG.

A good friend of mine started his OB residency this year and talking to him I started feeling a little pull towards OB. So I started thinking that if I do not match I will try and scramble into his program as well as many psych programs as he can probably put a good word in for me.

And so, I am filled with thoughts about what if this and what if that, since if I do not match, there is a possibility I will go into OB and not psych so should I go to my last two interviews if I don't I will only rank 4 programs.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Solideliquid said:
I'm starting to have second thoughts about getting into psych. OB/GYN was what I wanted to go into before I did a few psych rotations and changed my mind. But I always had a little voice in the back of my head saying I may regret my decision to not go into OB (no I don't need zyprexa :) ).

Now with all the talk about matching or not I have started thinking more and more about what will happen if I do not match. I am going to rank 6 programs in this match, and it is possible I will not match as I am an IMG.

A good friend of mine started his OB residency this year and talking to him I started feeling a little pull towards OB. So I started thinking that if I do not match I will try and scramble into his program as well as many psych programs as he can probably put a good word in for me.

And so, I am filled with thoughts about what if this and what if that, since if I do not match, there is a possibility I will go into OB and not psych so should I go to my last two interviews if I don't I will only rank 4 programs.

Any thoughts?

Hi Solid,

I will tell you this, I'm not an IMG and I'm exhausted - I just want all this to stop already. I'm tired of not knowing for sure where I will be, I'm tired of flying all over, and I'm tired of the games that go into this.

I can completely understand your second thoughts, as I had them when I first started all this too - I was very wishy washy about my decision but I sat down and made a list of all the reasons why I loved psych and why I chose it in the first place. I then made a list of any other specialty I had seriously considered (surgery prior to psych, and family med at one point) and realized, they couldn't compare to the reasons for psych.

Maybe you could do a mental list and see if this is really what you want. And, as far as the last two interviews, if you can hang in there, just try to do them for your own peace of mind (if you would even rank them). I'm doing my last 3 plus a second look - so you can be sure I'm so done (having done 8 already) - but I've learned a lot and met some really cool people along the way so its been worth it.

If you know you don't want those last two programs no matter what and would scramble - then don't bother spending your time there since it probably wouldn't be worth it.

I wish you all the luck - I know it must be hard being an IMG but I'm sure whatever you ultimately choose - you will be very successful at, I'm sure psych would miss you though! But it'd be OB's gain in the end :)

edit: also Solid, I think you can take a contract outside of the match if you choose - you could possibly approach the program you really want and maybe ask them if they offer out of match contracts?

Poety said:
edit: also Solid, I think you can take a contract outside of the match if you choose - you could possibly approach the program you really want and maybe ask them if they offer out of match contracts?

What makes u think contracts out of match are that easy... and that too in OBGYN..... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I wasn't implying that - I'm sorry - I just thought that you could ask for one at least?

Sol,

Is it to late for you to get some apps in to Ob/GYN programs?? I think your story of rediscovering your Ob/Gyn ambitions could make a great personal statement.

Shrinky said:
Sol,

Is it to late for you to get some apps in to Ob/GYN programs?? I think your story of rediscovering your Ob/Gyn ambitions could make a great personal statement.

Shrinky-

Nah I just cannot go on more interviews at this point. I am more thinking of the scramble if I do not match.

Good luck Solid - I hope it all works out either way :)