Second-Time Applicant, What's Wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hailj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

The past cycle was rough on me. I can't seem to figure out what could be wrong with my application. I realize my numbers are not FANTASTIC, but my application is extremely strong in other areas which I feel can make up for my shortcomings. I'm applying to MD programs, just for clarification.

cGPA/sGPA: 3.4 Overall, 3.234 Science
I realize my science GPA is low, and my overall. But I received a 4.0 in every pre-medical requirement. I chose to take graduate-level classes such as advanced quantum chemistry and thermodynamics which is where I received a few C's and several B's. Looking back, I would not have done this and would have taken some fluff classes. I learned a lot, but I regret putting myself in this hole to begin with.

MCAT: 31T
Again, not stellar. It's a shame that I had to go and score perfect on the writing section when it has become pretty clear nobody cares about it.

Research:
I blame my involvement in research for a LOT of my shortcomings in grades. Starting in January of 2011 (cumulative GPA at this point, 3.83) I began working 20-25 hours per week in a research lab. My research mentor didn't quite understand that I was only signed up for ONE credit hour and worked me to the bone. I thought everyone did this. I would get home exhausted and just crash every night - too tired to spend enough time hitting the books. I got a lot done, but my project didn't end up getting published because my P.I. preferred to 'publish big' and wanted to delay publishing anything.

Volunteering:
Over the summer in 2011 I began working at a free medical clinic that serves the underserved - people without any health insurance. I became the head new patient screener - a job that is sometimes difficult to explain. Basically, I needed to understand the entire healthcare system from our clinic to the larger hospital that we were involved with. I had to know which physicians were available on which days, and be available to meet our patients and ensure that they had access to every resource possible. I consider this much of my clinical experience because I learned how to manage this from the ground up. I volunteered there for about 10 hours a week for nearly two years.

Shadowing:
I shadowed a ophthalmologist who specialized in facial plastic surgery. I managed to work my way into the OR several times, as well as spending a good amount of time with her in clinic. I suppose my application could be lacking here, but I've spent well over 100+ hours at her side.

Extracurriculars:
This is where I feel my application really shines. I was an elected representative and committee chair on Student Government for two years. I was Vice-President of our club tennis team (which competes with D2 and D3 colleges at a national level every year). I was a member of multiple honors societies and really involved on campus. I taught tennis clinics over the summer - this was on top of volunteering, shadowing and researching.

On top of all of this, I had a significant life event in which a close family member was diagnosed with a serious cancer and given several months to live. This required a HUGE amount of time for me - and although I've addressed it in my application both times, it doesn't seem as though anyone really cares.

I think that my letters are strong, and I'm happy with my personal statement. I'm confident that 2/4 of my letters are EXTREMELY strong, and happy with the other. The fourth one I'm not 100% sure about as I didn't really KNOW the professor, just performed well in her class.

Does anyone have any idea what could be seriously wrong with my application? I've applied to nearly 30 medical schools in the past, going as low as I could go. I've never even been graced with an interview.

EDIT: I'm from Michigan, applied to all in-state schools as well as nearly every school in the immediate Great Lakes region.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
where are you from, where did you apply, etc.

I'd shadow someone other than an ophtho, and it wouldn't hurt to get your GPA up.

I edited the OP, but I applied to nearly every school in the Great Lakes region, I'm from Michigan - UM grad.

Might not hurt to get my GPA up, but the amount of classes required to increase my GPA even by .1 or .2 would be a year or two of courses probably. I have 140 credits worth of grades.

At this point I'm figuring my best option is to study hard again and re-take my MCAT. I'm confident I can score a 38-40 with good preparation. The first time around I had barely any time to prepare.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

The past cycle was rough on me. I can't seem to figure out what could be wrong with my application. I realize my numbers are not FANTASTIC, but my application is extremely strong in other areas which I feel can make up for my shortcomings. I'm applying to MD programs, just for clarification.

cGPA/sGPA: 3.4 Overall, 3.234 Science
I realize my science GPA is low, and my overall. But I received a 4.0 in every pre-medical requirement. I chose to take graduate-level classes such as advanced quantum chemistry and thermodynamics which is where I received a few C's and several B's. Looking back, I would not have done this and would have taken some fluff classes. I learned a lot, but I regret putting myself in this hole to begin with.

MCAT: 31T
Again, not stellar. It's a shame that I had to go and score perfect on the writing section when it has become pretty clear nobody cares about it.

Research:
I blame my involvement in research for a LOT of my shortcomings in grades. Starting in January of 2011 (cumulative GPA at this point, 3.83) I began working 20-25 hours per week in a research lab. My research mentor didn't quite understand that I was only signed up for ONE credit hour and worked me to the bone. I thought everyone did this. I would get home exhausted and just crash every night - too tired to spend enough time hitting the books. I got a lot done, but my project didn't end up getting published because my P.I. preferred to 'publish big' and wanted to delay publishing anything.

Volunteering:
Over the summer in 2011 I began working at a free medical clinic that serves the underserved - people without any health insurance. I became the head new patient screener - a job that is sometimes difficult to explain. Basically, I needed to understand the entire healthcare system from our clinic to the larger hospital that we were involved with. I had to know which physicians were available on which days, and be available to meet our patients and ensure that they had access to every resource possible. I consider this much of my clinical experience because I learned how to manage this from the ground up. I volunteered there for about 10 hours a week for nearly two years.

Shadowing:
I shadowed a ophthalmologist who specialized in facial plastic surgery. I managed to work my way into the OR several times, as well as spending a good amount of time with her in clinic. I suppose my application could be lacking here, but I've spent well over 100+ hours at her side.

Extracurriculars:
This is where I feel my application really shines. I was an elected representative and committee chair on Student Government for two years. I was Vice-President of our club tennis team (which competes with D2 and D3 colleges at a national level every year). I was a member of multiple honors societies and really involved on campus. I taught tennis clinics over the summer - this was on top of volunteering, shadowing and researching.

On top of all of this, I had a significant life event in which a close family member was diagnosed with a serious cancer and given several months to live. This required a HUGE amount of time for me - and although I've addressed it in my application both times, it doesn't seem as though anyone really cares.

I think that my letters are strong, and I'm happy with my personal statement. I'm confident that 2/4 of my letters are EXTREMELY strong, and happy with the other. The fourth one I'm not 100% sure about as I didn't really KNOW the professor, just performed well in her class.

Does anyone have any idea what could be seriously wrong with my application? I've applied to nearly 30 medical schools in the past, going as low as I could go. I've never even been graced with an interview.

EDIT: I'm from Michigan, applied to all in-state schools as well as nearly every school in the immediate Great Lakes region.

Thanks for any advice!
Did you apply to both MD and DO med schools? Your GPAs are below both MD and DO acceptee averages, but for some DO schools your MCAT is probably enough to compensate.
What were your year-by-year GPAs? If you applied without a serious upward grade trend after getting those Cs, that could sink your application for MD or DO..

1) Might not hurt to get my GPA up, but the amount of classes required to increase my GPA even by .1 or .2 would be a year or two of courses probably. I have 140 credits worth of grades.

2) At this point I'm figuring my best option is to study hard again and re-take my MCAT. I'm confident I can score a 38-40 with good preparation.
1) If you apply to DO schools, you could take advantage of their grade replacement policy, where they only count the most recent grade for a given course. Courses need not be retaken at the same school, or have an identical course name, but they must have the same credit hours or greater, and the course content must be demonstrably similar per the course catalogs.

Completing an SMP (Special Masters Program) with a 3.7+ GPA would be helpful if MD-only is your goal. These grades would appear separately on the AMCAS application and thus stand out from your undergrad GPA.

2) A very-high MCAT score would get you noticed, but you still need an upward grade trend.

Had you applied broadly to DO programs, you most likely would have been sitting on an acceptance already.

I hadn't thought about D.O. programs. To be honest, I was really set on obtaining an M.D. My last year shows an upward trend in grades.

I've watched colleagues of mine get acceptance letters to several schools on a 3.5-3.6 GPA with a 32 or so on the MCAT, and have barely any extracurriculars, volunteering or shadowing. I felt as though I were on the brink. Perhaps not.

I'm going to call a few schools and find out what I can do, but in the meantime I suppose I'll re-take my MCAT and apply broadly to both MD and DO programs next year. I think it might be a bit late to get on the D.O train now, especially because if I'm going to do a D.O. I want to go to one of the best schools possible.

I hadn't thought about D.O. programs. To be honest, I was really set on obtaining an M.D. My last year shows an upward trend in grades.

I've watched colleagues of mine get acceptance letters to several schools on a 3.5-3.6 GPA with a 32 or so on the MCAT, and have barely any extracurriculars, volunteering or shadowing. I felt as though I were on the brink. Perhaps not.

I'm going to call a few schools and find out what I can do, but in the meantime I suppose I'll re-take my MCAT and apply broadly to both MD and DO programs next year. I think it might be a bit late to get on the D.O train now, especially because if I'm going to do a D.O. I want to go to one of the best schools possible.

The gap between a 3.2 to a 3.6 is way more significant than, say, a 3.6 to 4.0. Numbers aren't everything to schools but they simply put much, much more weight on GPA than ECs. An adcom member that spoke at my school said ECs is what makes you stand out in a sea of average numbers--and frankly, your GPA isn't there. Getting a 38-40 MCAT is not an easy task and it usually requires a fair amount of luck, so you shouldn't count on that. With that said, I don't even think a 38 will be enough to overlook your sGPA. I'm not trying to disheartening you, I'm just being realistic. If you are not against DO, you should think about retaking classes with the C's since your latest grade replaces the old one (your MCAT should be fine here, even for the best DO schools like Michigan). If you are adamant on MD then do a bit of research on a Post bac/SMP. Good Luck!!

Bottom line you need to do a post bacc or an SMP.

Your MCAT is average and your ECs while very good are not good enough to overcome your low GPA.

It doesn't matter if a post bacc will only incr. your GPA by 0.1-0.2. As long as you get past the initial GPA screen, many adcoms will focus on recent grades and upward trends. Your current downward trend in grades is a huge red flag.

A perfect verbal score but only a 31? No one seems to have picked up on that part of your post... What are your subscores? Best case is two 8s which is OK. But if either is 7 or below that probably contributes to your problem.

Normally retaking a 31 is a bad idea but if you do have a low subscore it's probably a good idea to retake and bring that up.

A perfect verbal score but only a 31? No one seems to have picked up on that part of your post... What are your subscores? Best case is two 8s which is OK. But if either is 7 or below that probably contributes to your problem.
I think he was referring to the perfect "T" he got on the Writing Score, not the Verbal Score.

I think he was referring to the perfect "T" he got on the Writing Score, not the Verbal Score.

Oops, this is what I get for posting in the morning. Writing section has been gone from the MCAT long enough I forget it was there.