second-time applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuietStorm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hello~! I hope everyone is smiling and stressed-free.

Just curious: Are second-time applicants viewed less favorably than those who are applying for the first time? If so, to what extent?

I know the question is a bit vague but any thoughts about this subject will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The big thing about reapplying is whether you have addressed the sticking points which prevented your admission the first time. For example if a person didn't do well on the MCAT, then hopefully he or she has retaken and done better on it. Something that I've heard is that you should rewrite your personal statement. To what degree I don't know, but don't just stick the exact same statement in your AMCAS app(especially if you are reapplying to some of the same schools). Take a look at your list of schools from the last time too. You may want to make changes and apply to some different places. Some schools will gladly give you feedback about your previous application and suggest what you might do to improve. As long as you have shown improvement, I don't think that you will be viewed less favorably. Hope some of this stuff helps.

[This message has been edited by oman313 (edited 08-09-2000).]