Second Time Applicants??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adenosine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know it happens because when I had my interview at ICO one of the admissions counselors told us that something like that had just happened with someone who was on the alternate list the year before. He also told us that one student was on the alternate list the year before, but didn't make any changes (I assume get a better score on the OAT) and the did not even make the alternate lis this year. I think as long as you improve your score and have the same or better interview you have a pretty good chance. I wouldn't call it a guarantee, but I think the chances of acceptance are pretty good.

Scenario: An applicant is put on the alternate list, but is not accepted to Optometry school the first time applying. The next year, the applicant improves their OAT scores and reapplies to the same school. What are the chances of this student being accepted the second time around? How often does this happen?

It's definitely possible. The reapplicant also needs to improve his/her interview as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scenario: An applicant is put on the alternate list, but is not accepted to Optometry school the first time applying. The next year, the applicant improves their OAT scores and reapplies to the same school. What are the chances of this student being accepted the second time around? How often does this happen?

While I can't speak as to what the chances are of this happening or how often this occurs, I would guarantee that taking the initiative to make yourself a more competitive candidate is of the utmost importance. Definitely improve your OAT score if you can, but don't just stop there. Ideally you could improve your OAT score with only a month or two of studying, yet you have a whole year ahead of you to improve your entire application. I would show some initiative and do many observations with optometrists or even get a job at an optometrist office. Learn as much about the profession as possible. In addition to that, go take some extra classes to better prepare yourself for optometry school; from what I've seen the schools all have a list of classes which they don't necessarily require but recommend taking. Also, maybe take a workshop on how to effectively write essays or give an interview (especially if you think these were part of the reason you didn't get admitted in the first place). Lastly, keep in touch with the admissions representatives and heed their advice on what you should be doing to improve your chances of acceptance. Appearances are very important and if you can convey your overwhelming desire to be an optometrist through your actions over the next year, then the better your chances are of being accepted.