second undergrad degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thoughtsmeander

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Im a career changer with a less than sparkling undergrad gpa, (2.7) so it looks like i have a double handicap in approaching medical school admission.

I graduated from college two weeks ago, and i decided i would take the premed classes i missed (chem o-chem physics, calc, possibly anatomy) at a local college near my house, while i work.

I was wondering if it would be a wise move to get a second bachelors degree--in biology--- from this second university, since many of my credits transfer. This way, i will be given a chance to graduate with a significantly higher gpa.

While i know medical schools will notice my earlier undergraduate work, does a stellar second-degree gpa make a difference? Should i just take the classes as a part-time non-degree student instead?

thanks for any advice!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation as you are. But I am even worse, with just a 2.4 GPA. I am graduating 2 weeks later with a BS in Computer Sci.

Now I am comapring, whether to get a second undergrad degree in the sciences or try to get into (if I can) a post-bacc program or even SMP in the NYC area.

Please, any advice will be greatly appreciated! :)

i know that for my school, im in the postbacc program doing all the science pre-reqs as well but for financial aid purposes i needed to get matriculation status so i did. As it turns out, i found out that i might be eligible to get a second degree in bio if i wanted too cuase in order to get a second degree u need to complete something like 30 credits or so.
Look into ur school for that...
I would imagine if medical schools see that u have 2 degrees on top of your other scores and grades that would make u just that much of a competative applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the 2nd degree in biology since so many of the credits transferred. I am not sure how much it helped me to get into med school, but what it did help me with was having more opportunities open to me to do research and to work with faculty. I know that did help me to get in. I also liked the idea of having the degree to fall back on, for a job during the lag year, and in case I decided I wanted to go to graduate school or to do something else.

Are you working and going to school during the day? I looked around for a school that offered biology at night in New Orleans, but couldn't find one.