second visit despite away rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baddabing

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at my top 2 choices early in November. I also did away rotations at these places, although for both of these rotations I did electives that spent the majority of time at sites outside the main hospital and therefore did not get a good feel for the hospital and program.

Should I still schedule second looks at these places? I do not want to annoy programs by going back despite spending an entire month there. I also want to show them that I am still very interested in the programs, especially since I interviewed so early in the interview season and they may have forgotten me.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

baddabing said:
I interviewed at my top 2 choices early in November. I also did away rotations at these places, although for both of these rotations I did electives that spent the majority of time at sites outside the main hospital and therefore did not get a good feel for the hospital and program.

Should I still schedule second looks at these places? I do not want to annoy programs by going back despite spending an entire month there. I also want to show them that I am still very interested in the programs, especially since I interviewed so early in the interview season and they may have forgotten me.

Any advice?

Don't think that's necessary. Just write the PD and let him/her know that you plan on ranking the program very highly. The PD is aware that if you rotated there, you have obviously been interested in the program for a long time. A second look is quite redundant if you were there for a month (even if you were outside the main hospital).

baddabing said:

Any advice?

I agree with Bob with one proviso. If you think you need to know more about the "main hospital" go ahead. Don't spend the money on a second look merely for inteviewing advantage. I'd rather the candidate's call or email me than spend ever more money on the process.

Thanks for all of your advice!

I guess I don't need a better look since I am fairly sure that I am going to rank both of these programs highly regardless of what I see, but it would be nice to do a second visit just to see how things are done in the hospital at where I will spend 10 months of the year.

If it will not help me with their ranking of me, that is fine. I just don't want to do it if it will hurt my chances of matching by the program looking at me like I am being annoying or a brown-noser or if I'm wasting their resources on a candidate who has already spent a month there.

And about the money thing, part of the reason why I want to set them up is because I will be back at that part of a country for another interview anyways, and I have friends and family with whom I can stay, so the cost of the second looks is negligible.

bump

specifically, i am wondering if anyone thinks that a second look at a program at which i did an away rotation in october would hurt my chances of matching

thanks!