This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FamilyMedicineGuy

Reaction score
What are my chances of getting into Anesthesiology residency? I am a full fledged practicing family medicine physician. I graduated from a US medical school (DO). I have COMLEX scores but I did not take USMLE. What is the likelihood of a program even reviewing my application let alone offering an interview without USMLE scores? I could take USMLE now, however it would be quite difficult studying for the test while working a full time job. I just want to know how important it would be to have USMLE or not seeing as I have COMLEX scores and I have passed ABFM boards. Would appreciate any advice!

Below are my stats:

Undergrad: Biochemistry major at UC Riverside California
Graduated medical school: 2015
Graduated FM residency: 2018
Working independently as a FM physician for 5 years now.
Titles and accolades: Chief resident, medical director of the hospital and nursing home, wound clinic director.
I cover the ER and have lots of experience with intubation, chest tubes etc (The frequency of these procedures is weekly).
I can get strong LOR from family medicine program director, colleague physicians, and general surgeon from my hospital.
I am also able to get a strong LOR from an Anesthesiologist that previously held a faculty position at an anesthesia residency program.

COMLEX level 1 - 578 (top 24%)
COMLEX level 2 - 576 (top 34%)
COMLEX level 3 - 571 (top 45%)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the best way to answer your question is to just apply. Don't take USMLE, submit an application, and see what happens. You didn't post your COMLEX scores - may matter quite a bit whether you have 605's or 450's. If you don't get in, then you decide whether it's worth considering the USMLE exams. And, would also depend upon your COMLEX scores -- if they were not fantastic, your chances of doing really well on USMLE are just honestly not that great.

Reactions: 1 users
The thought of taking USMLE Step 1 almost a decade out from MS2/MS3 makes me want to claw my eyes out.

I agree with the above. Apply without USMLE and just see what happens.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the best way to answer your question is to just apply. Don't take USMLE, submit an application, and see what happens. You didn't post your COMLEX scores - may matter quite a bit whether you have 605's or 450's. If you don't get in, then you decide whether it's worth considering the USMLE exams. And, would also depend upon your COMLEX scores -- if they were not fantastic, your chances of doing really well on USMLE are just honestly not that great.
Thanks NotAProgDirector, I updated with my comlex scores above. I don't think they are terrible, but they're not over 600.
Great advice, thank you.

The thought of taking USMLE Step 1 almost a decade out from MS2/MS3 makes me want to claw my eyes out.

I agree with the above. Apply without USMLE and just see what happens.
Agreed. I think I would have to take a couple months off of work just to study for it again.

What are my chances of getting into Anesthesiology residency? I am a full fledged practicing family medicine physician. I graduated from a US medical school (DO). I have COMLEX scores but I did not take USMLE. What is the likelihood of a program even reviewing my application let alone offering an interview without USMLE scores? I could take USMLE now, however it would be quite difficult studying for the test while working a full time job. I just want to know how important it would be to have USMLE or not seeing as I have COMLEX scores and I have passed ABFM boards. Would appreciate any advice!

Below are my stats:

Undergrad: Biochemistry major at UC Riverside California
Graduated medical school: 2015
Graduated FM residency: 2018
Titles and accolades: Chief resident, medical director of the hospital and nursing home, wound clinic founder.
I cover the ER and have lots of experience with intubation, chest tubes etc.
I can get strong LOR from family medicine program director, colleague physician, and surgeon from my hospital.

Is there an Anesthesia program associated with your hospital or a nearby one in town that you can meet with to discuss your chances?

Reactions: 1 user
DO's with those types of scores are matching to Anesthesia, so not impossible.

Without a letter from a single anesthesiologist, I worry that you application will go nowhere.

I'd recommend asking to work with whatever local anesthesia group you have, even if it is just shadowing (although you have a medical license, so they can let you do whatever they want).

The best would be some work with an anesthesia residency program, if one is locally available.

Reactions: 1 user
DO's with those types of scores are matching to Anesthesia, so not impossible.

Without a letter from a single anesthesiologist, I worry that you application will go nowhere.

I'd recommend asking to work with whatever local anesthesia group you have, even if it is just shadowing (although you have a medical license, so they can let you do whatever they want).

The best would be some work with an anesthesia residency program, if one is locally available.
That's reassuring advice, I forgot to mention that I am able to get a letter for an Anesthesiologist that previously held a faculty position at a residency program, I guess I didn't realize how important that would be. But I will definitely include it in the application in the future.

I will take all of that advice, thanks ThoracicGuy!