Okay, going to use this as a reference comment for future discussions and I am also saying all this for my own sake just to put my thoughts on paper.
My class rank is probably average to above average. I passed step 1 and do not have step 2 scores yet because I have not taken the exam. Pretty solid ECs and leadership.
I want a career that I can do procedures, interact with patients, have somewhat of a work/life balance, and varying acuity.
My other interests include Ortho and Cardiology or ICU from IM.
I do not have enough research to be an impactful candidate for orthopedic surgery, all the attendings I was going to work with have stalled our projects and I do not want to waste a year and end up SOAPing.
I do not love IM based on my rotations. I think the acuity and pace is not my jam, I feel like 7 on and 7 off is also not for me. I may consider this should I not like my EM sub-is but right now its my backup. I would probably end up doing a fellowship from IM but easier said than done.
I do not like outpatient medicine, I do not like kids, I wouldn't say I like woman's health enough to make a career out of it, I like radiology but not enough to do that exclusively for a living, no to path, I thought anesthesia was interesting but I was not a fan of some things that I won't mention unless asked. No to psych.
I know this is a sub of people who more or less have strong opinions of emergency medicine, but I feel like I enjoy that environment the most. I will come back and say to everyone 'okay you told me so, I should have listened' if I end up hating the field, but as of now I just feel the strongest desire to pursue EM.
Here’s my honest advice to you. And really listen and pay attention.
It actually sounds a little like you want ortho but don’t have the numbers. So EM is kind of like a second choice. It’s very hard to sustain a EM lifestyle especially if it’s your second pick. Yes, i get it, ortho is very very hard to get in.
You say you don’t like kids - 20 percent of ER visits is kids.
You also say you don’t like women’s health. 10 ish percent of ER visits are gynecology/obstetrics related.
So 30 percent of your job as an ER doctors, you already don’t like.
You say ‘no to psych’ - the reality is a lot of the patients we see are some degree of anxiety disorder, running to the ER at the simplest thing. Then obviously there’s all the depressed suicidal people you’ll see. Psych is probably another 5-10 percent of patients we see.
Now throw in the drunks, the drug seekers, the disrespectful, and the belligerent.
I mean you’re basically saying you already dont like 50 percent of what we do.
So i have no idea where your desire to pursue EM is coming from? Let’s be real…. Are you sure you don’t like the idea of making 400k working 36-40 hours a week? I fell for that trap since I’m very financially minded.
You say you like procedures - the reality is when you have a very busy ER, a procedure is the last thing you want to do. Central lines take so long! Sutures take so long!!! When it’s busy, you really really don’t want to do procedures.
I work 10 days a month. I still don’t have perfect work life balance. My wife works 12 days a month, she has better work life balance. She’s off on weekends, i still work quite a few of those. I work nights and don’t sleep in my bed plenty of nights, my body struggles to recover. If your circadian rhythm is flip flopping between days and nights - I’m sorry that’s not work life balance. If you miss a bunch of family events on the weekends, that’s just not work life balance.
Ill tell you what’s work life balance - my wife who goes into work for 4-5 hours a day for 3 days a week - Tuesday through Thursday. Is back from work at 2 pm everyday and still makes 250k as FM -_- that’s work life balance. Even on her work days she has time for life -_-
So….. you think EM is work life balance. It’s better than some, but it’s not derm, psych, allergy/immunology, rheum, pm&r and others. I mean yeah our work life balance is better than surgeons - but thats about all i can say for EM.
Think long and hard. You’re probably better off doing IM and getting a fellowship in something else.