Second year medical student asking about the field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have to agree and I think everyone in residency should find a place to do a bit of rural EM. And by rural I mean really rural. The kind of places where you fly out most admissions and have to triage who flies first and who goes by ground or even boat. Where you have to decide what to do when the CT scanner breaks and Walmart doesn't have the parts. Where you do most of the reductions, lines, tubes, para's, thora's and there is no one in house to back you up. You may find you like it. If nothing else you will know you can do it if you have to. Most of your jobs won't be at academic centers and some of the jobs you end up loving might be at rural places just like that. I did time during medical school and residency at rural Alaskan hospitals and it opened my eyes to the fact that there is a whole lot of good medicine out there that is unbelievably different from the ivory towers I had been exposed to up until that point.(ivy league and old school academic EM places)

I actually think even every med student needs two weeks of non academic EM- they would have a better and more complete picture of the field and what most jobs in EM are like. It's not all like ABEM General and academia.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I actually think even every med student needs two weeks of non academic EM- they would have a better and more complete picture of the field and what most jobs in EM are like. It's not all like ABEM General and academia.

I wish I was given a month of drunks and decompensated psych yelling at me, and having to meet metrics w constantly cycling admin goal posts while seeing 2pph. Would have convinced me quite readily not to pursue this trash heap speciality.
 
I have to agree and I think everyone in residency should find a place to do a bit of rural EM. And by rural I mean really rural. The kind of places where you fly out most admissions and have to triage who flies first and who goes by ground or even boat. Where you have to decide what to do when the CT scanner breaks and Walmart doesn't have the parts. Where you do most of the reductions, lines, tubes, para's, thora's and there is no one in house to back you up. You may find you like it. If nothing else you will know you can do it if you have to. Most of your jobs won't be at academic centers and some of the jobs you end up loving might be at rural places just like that. I did time during medical school and residency at rural Alaskan hospitals and it opened my eyes to the fact that there is a whole lot of good medicine out there that is unbelievably different from the ivory towers I had been exposed to up until that point.(ivy league and old school academic EM places)

Sounds like one of the places I worked PRN right after residency. I was down on the WV/VA border in the coal fields. Had days with one copter on the helipad doing a hot load, with one circling waiting on the other one to take off. Traumas brought in in the back of company pickup trucks. Positive FAST exam, ATLS, line, blood, TXA, and bird to mothership in less than 45 mins. BLS crews bringing in spontaneous tension pneumothoraces. I've definitely triaged who gets the helicopter first.

OK, Now I kinda miss that place, wish it wasn't so far away