Secondaries before LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TRPMinus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to complete secondaries and submit them before I have all of my LOR into AMCAS and sent to my schools? It's weird bc some of the schools say "application complete" even though I only have one LOR listed so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it ok to complete secondaries and submit them before I have all of my LOR into AMCAS and sent to my schools? It's weird bc some of the schools say "application complete" even though I only have one LOR listed so far.
Have you not listed all of your LORs in AMCAS? You should list them all, even if they haven't been submitted to AMCAS yet. This will prevent you from being marked "complete" until all of your LORs are in.

i disagree with that. not all schools do a simple AMCAS comparison. Many schools do an individual LOR check at intake to see if their specific requirements have been met. Indeed I suggest applicant not assign letter until they are actually in AMCAS

So far I have several letters in AMCAS, but I am waiting for one more before I begin assigning the letters to different schools. If I'm understanding you right it is ok to submit secondaries before my LOR? Will schools send me II's now or will they wait for all my letters to be submitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools will send secondaries without regard to LOR status,

Did you mean II's instead of secondaries?? Already aware that they send secondaries without regard to LOR status........

Your previous post seemed to indicate that you werent sure that secondaries would be sent without LOR. As for any potential interview invitees, for most applicants at most schools, an application will not be queued for review for possible II until the file is complete with LOR. Some schools for some outstanding applicants may get II without that. Additionally, applicants are not always queued and review in chronological order. High achieving "superstars," applicants from associated UG institutions, linked programs, known feeder schools, URMs, children of alumni, and others may be reviewed first.

No, I have about 22 secondaries I am currently working on, even though not all of my LOR are submitted at this point. My question was: Is it ok to submit the secondaries BEFORE I have all of my LOR submitted. From what I can tell now, it doesn't really matter.

Why would it not be? The processing system's a crapshoot so the earlier you shoot things at schools, the more likely that you'll be complete at said schools.

Why would it not be? The processing system's a crapshoot so the earlier you shoot things at schools, the more likely that you'll be complete at said schools.
I was more wanting to know about how schools process these things, since some say I'm "complete" when I'm not and other schools tell me they're still waiting on stuff. Most secondaries I've already submitted.