Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Secondaries from UCLA, UCSD & UCSF

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cipher, Sep 9, 2002.

1. cipher

15+ Year Member

I submitted my AMCAS in mid-July and received secondaries from Davis and Irvine several weeks ago, but no word yet from the other three UC's: UCLA, UCSD & UCSF. Are these schools just much slower at processing apps, or should I just not expect to receive secondaries from these schools at this point?

For those of you who have receive secondaries from these schools, when did you submit your AMCAS?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe Joe on da Radio

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    got UCSD invite today...

transmitted 8/13 to them (submitted AMCAS mid-July)

3. jot

jot

i submitted my amcas veyr early and got them mid august - but there is still a while

4. DrHTM

DrHTM Member
    7+ Year Member

received UCLA and Davis 8/28 and transmitted Amcas on the 7th of august. yet to hear from san diego and irvine

5. uffda

uffda Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

got UCD (email) last week, got UCI (email) last week, got UCSD today in email

nothing from UCLA or UCSF except acknowledgement of receipt of application

6. cipher

15+ Year Member

I just got an e-mail about UCSD's secondary. It looks like they sent this out to a bunch of people today.

Still waiting on UCLA and UCSF...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. chapinsita

chapinsita from premed to med!
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    From my understanding....all UC schools send out secondaries, it's policy. It doesn't mean that you passed any stage of admissions. So if you don't get a secondary from a UC, might be good to call or something.

8. Bounty

Bounty 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually, that's not true. I think all of the UCs screen. Especially UCSF - I think last year they only gave out 1400 secondaries...

9. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

yes, all of the uc's screen -- most quite heavily i believe

10. avr

avr

I think they're screening for secondaries, but they have their own primary this year so therein may lie some of the confusion. So their secondary is really a tertiary...

11. kiping

kiping Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I submitted like late june or something. i got ucsd a month ago and ucd and uci two weeks ago. no word from ucla or sf :(

12. chapinsita

chapinsita from premed to med!
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oops- I probably made a mistake. But I know that UCI sends secondaries to everyone (I go there), so I just assumed that all UC's did this. Good to know they screen first, it saves you time from doing secondaries if they're not going to consider you anyway.

13. Joe Joe on da Radio

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    where are you getting your information from???

UCI does screen.

14. Bear25

Bear25 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I got secondaries from all the UC's except UCSF. UCSD about a month ago and UCI, UCD and UCLA about two weeks ago Nothing from UCSF. I submitted my AMCAS in the beginning of July.

15. Nefertari

Nefertari Undercover Premed
    7+ Year Member

Got them all except UC Irvine. The stats show that Irvine screens to @ 30% for 2ndaries, like UCSF. Strange that I've heard from SF, but not irvine. Either they don't love me or are waiting for aug mcat scores. This process is unpredictable.

16. cipher

15+ Year Member

Where did you get this info? How much do the other UC's screen?

17. Nefertari

Nefertari Undercover Premed
    7+ Year Member

SF 30%
    LA 55%
    Davis 50%
    SD 40%
    Irvine 33%

Got #'s from Princeton Review med school book (be careful though, it's full of errors) and some from school's websites under FAQ's. If anyone has more accurate #'s, please let me know.

Also, you might want to consider the avg #'s of app received @ each school, which I don't have, as well as the class size.

18. Ni1980

Ni1980 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I got my UCLA sec app last week. My deadline to submit it was the 30th of this month. Nothing yet from UCSF

19. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

make sure u check the ucsf website. they expect u to find out all the info yoself. they don't send u nothin'!

20. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

Just to clarify...

All of the UC medical schools screen before sending out secondaries, including UC Irvine. Most UC's send out anywhere from 1000-1500 secondaries, and interview between 400-600 applicants. Stanford also screens prior to sending secondaries.

To all those waiting for secondaries..take some deep breaths..there is a lot of time left.

21. yaoming

yaoming Membership Revoked
    Removed

as an applicant last year, i got all UC 2ndary invites except UCD. from what i know, UCSF and UCLA dont wait for august scores. they send you if they want to (but they both screen). UCI and UCSD both wait for your aug mcat score before sending 2ndaries (last year). that's what they told me.

22. silver_eyes

silver_eyes Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yea somebody told me that too. that some schols just send out seconarides regardless of your application, just to basically get the money for the secondary.

which other schools do that? do some schools just give u an interview? if so, which ones.

also, my friend in 1st year pharm school, told me not to worry and to apply to med schols verywhere especially out of state, since u have a higher chanc eof getting in there than in the state fo your residence. i know, i thought the complete opposite, but she said, they accept u, b/c they want your money for tituion, since it is like double the tuition if u were a resident of the state.

23. silver_eyes

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    what do u mean by screening?

24. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

ok,

Most medical schools will send you a secondary as soon as they process your primary application. They usually ask for an essay, but all of them ask for money and for your letters of recommendation. There are some schools who 'screen' before sending secondaries. Meaning, they do not send secondaries to everyone. They look at gpa, mcat, personal statement, leadership activities, background, etc and then determine whether or not you should be sent a secondary. For instance, UCSF sends somewhere around 1400 secondaries, but about 4700 apply. I think screening is a good thing. First of all, it saves you money, and secondly...if you get a secondary you know that the school is interested in you. Hope that clarifies things.

I think it is Pocwana who has an excellent web page listing what schools screen and links to available secondaries.

Peace.

25. uclachris

uclachris Doctor Doctor Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For those lucky enough to get a request for secondaries, can you please post the method you were notified (ie. e-mail vs us-mail)? Thanks a million.

I was notified by Davis a few weeks ago via e-mail...

I'm waiting on pins and needles for the other UCs!

C

26. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

oh my gosh!!! i just checked online and ucsf wants me to fill out a secondary :) i never would have checked if it weren't for sdn.

27. BananaSplit

BananaSplit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Folks,
    I just want to reiterate checking the website thing. I'm just like the poster above. I just found out last night that I got a secondary from UCSF, and it was granted 8/20, and I HAD NO CLUE. I thought they were going to send me at least a post card or something. YOU HAVE TO CHECK THE WEBSITE. And here is my near-horror story, if I hadn't checked this week, next week I would have passed their four week secondary deadline, and they would have assumed I was withdrawing my app. It makes me cringe just thinking about it. Alright, once more for the road: make sure you to check your UCSF status every few days.

Banana Split

28. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah, i think ucsf is not handling this well at all. people really need to be notified by e-mail or in the mail if they are going to have a 4 week deadline. i would love to tell them i have some concerns about it but wouldn't want to piss them off! and i figure the way they're doing it increases my chances since many unfortunately won't know to check the website.

29. silver_eyes

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    what is Pocwana and what is the site?

30. silver_eyes

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    never mind i found the site.

where in the MSAR did u find this info from. i have the 2000-2001 edition. i am going to to buy the new one soon.

thanks

31. DrHTM

DrHTM Member
    7+ Year Member

received an email from Davis

found out about ucla by chance (checked the status page) ..then a week later received a letter.

still haven't heard from irvine or SD

32. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    amcas:
    submitted: 6/19
    processed: 7/16

UCSF
    AMCAS Data 7/26/2002
    UC app 7/28/02
    Secondary Request 08/09/02
    randomly checked online.
    no other notification. and the instructions say they want receipt of secondary within 2 weeks!

UCSD
    Application received 7/25/2002
    UC app ?
    Secondary Request 08/01/02
    notified via e-mail

UCLA
    AMCAS Data 7/19/2002
    UC app 7/23/02
    Secondary Request 08/16/02
    checked website.
    snail mail a week later.

UCI
    AMCAS Data 6/19/2002
    UC app 7/2/02
    Secondary Request 08/22/02
    notified via e-mail

UCD
    AMCAS Data 7/25/2002
    UC app ?
    Secondary Request 08/21/02
    notified via e-mail

33. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah, i don't know waht ppl r saying.

UCSF says they want u to submit it within 2 weeks (receipt) and the letters within 3 weeks!

not one month.

34. BananaSplit

BananaSplit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

On my UCSF secondary, it says:

"DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF ALL MATERIAL: As soon as possible or up to FOUR WEEKS FROM THE DATE APPROVED FOR SECONDARY ON THE UCSF STATUS WEBSITE."

BananaSplit

35. whozshoe

whozshoe Member
    7+ Year Member

My ucsf secondary says the same thing as for Banana Split's. (4 wks)

36. sluox

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i just don't understand why i never got an UCSF secondary...I JUST DON'T

37. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

mine says 4 weeks as well!

38. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

well mine said 3 weeks max.

39. cipher

15+ Year Member

Oh yeah, well mine says...oh, wait...I guess I can't participate in this discussion yet...
    [​IMG]

40. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

I feel you cipher. [​IMG]

41. silver_eyes

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i heard it is easier to get into med schools out of state than instate b/c they want ur money. is that true. i think if u think about it, it makes sense.

42. DrHTM

DrHTM Member
    7+ Year Member

sweet, then i have a chance at bostonU...'

'SHOW ME THE MONEY', adcom says

43. cipher

15+ Year Member

[​IMG]

44. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Well often, state legislatures have a required percentage of people that must be from in-state. It's almost never true that it's easier from out of state.

-RA

45. silver_eyes

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    naaww, i dont believe that. adcoms are after your money. they get double if u are not from the state. why wouldnt they want to accept you?

46. uclabruins47

uclabruins47 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    they want to, but public schools are constrained by state law so technically they can't

47. yaoming

yaoming Membership Revoked
    Removed

besides, from what i know, the "school" gets the same amount of money whether u are from instate or outta state. instate student pays half as much, but the other half is covered by taxpayers. so technically, a school gets the same amount of money from either instate or outta state student.

48. kiping

kiping Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

any recent news on ucsf or ucla? i'm still waiting ( praying) for secondaries from these guys.

49. I've noticed from the Official Schools Interviewing thread that only UCSD (out of all the UCs) has started giving out interview invities.

Do you guys think that UCSD will let me interview if I call them and ask, saying that I will be in the area on a particular date? I am flying home in October for one interview but I would like to schedule another in (just to save money). Has anyone tried this before with any of the UCs, particularly UCSD?

50. cipher

15+ Year Member

Still waiting on UCLA & UCSF. If anyone else gets a secondary from these schools or has any new info, please post it.