Secondaries from UCLA, UCSD & UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cipher

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my AMCAS in mid-July and received secondaries from Davis and Irvine several weeks ago, but no word yet from the other three UC's: UCLA, UCSD & UCSF. Are these schools just much slower at processing apps, or should I just not expect to receive secondaries from these schools at this point?

For those of you who have receive secondaries from these schools, when did you submit your AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

got UCSD invite today...

transmitted 8/13 to them (submitted AMCAS mid-July)

i submitted my amcas veyr early and got them mid august - but there is still a while

Members don't see this ad :)
received UCLA and Davis 8/28 and transmitted Amcas on the 7th of august. yet to hear from san diego and irvine

got UCD (email) last week, got UCI (email) last week, got UCSD today in email

nothing from UCLA or UCSF except acknowledgement of receipt of application

I just got an e-mail about UCSD's secondary. It looks like they sent this out to a bunch of people today.

Still waiting on UCLA and UCSF...

From my understanding....all UC schools send out secondaries, it's policy. It doesn't mean that you passed any stage of admissions. So if you don't get a secondary from a UC, might be good to call or something.

Actually, that's not true. I think all of the UCs screen. Especially UCSF - I think last year they only gave out 1400 secondaries...

yes, all of the uc's screen -- most quite heavily i believe

I think they're screening for secondaries, but they have their own primary this year so therein may lie some of the confusion. So their secondary is really a tertiary...

I submitted like late june or something. i got ucsd a month ago and ucd and uci two weeks ago. no word from ucla or sf :(

Oops- I probably made a mistake. But I know that UCI sends secondaries to everyone (I go there), so I just assumed that all UC's did this. Good to know they screen first, it saves you time from doing secondaries if they're not going to consider you anyway.

Originally posted by chapinsita
Oops- I probably made a mistake. But I know that UCI sends secondaries to everyone (I go there), so I just assumed that all UC's did this. Good to know they screen first, it saves you time from doing secondaries if they're not going to consider you anyway.

where are you getting your information from???

UCI does screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got secondaries from all the UC's except UCSF. UCSD about a month ago and UCI, UCD and UCLA about two weeks ago Nothing from UCSF. I submitted my AMCAS in the beginning of July.

Got them all except UC Irvine. The stats show that Irvine screens to @ 30% for 2ndaries, like UCSF. Strange that I've heard from SF, but not irvine. Either they don't love me or are waiting for aug mcat scores. This process is unpredictable.

Originally posted by Nefertari
The stats show that Irvine screens to @ 30% for 2ndaries, like UCSF.

Where did you get this info? How much do the other UC's screen?

Originally posted by cipher
Where did you get this info? How much do the other UC's screen?

SF 30%
LA 55%
Davis 50%
SD 40%
Irvine 33%

Got #'s from Princeton Review med school book (be careful though, it's full of errors) and some from school's websites under FAQ's. If anyone has more accurate #'s, please let me know.

Also, you might want to consider the avg #'s of app received @ each school, which I don't have, as well as the class size.

I got my UCLA sec app last week. My deadline to submit it was the 30th of this month. Nothing yet from UCSF

make sure u check the ucsf website. they expect u to find out all the info yoself. they don't send u nothin'!

Just to clarify...

All of the UC medical schools screen before sending out secondaries, including UC Irvine. Most UC's send out anywhere from 1000-1500 secondaries, and interview between 400-600 applicants. Stanford also screens prior to sending secondaries.

To all those waiting for secondaries..take some deep breaths..there is a lot of time left.

as an applicant last year, i got all UC 2ndary invites except UCD. from what i know, UCSF and UCLA dont wait for august scores. they send you if they want to (but they both screen). UCI and UCSD both wait for your aug mcat score before sending 2ndaries (last year). that's what they told me.

Originally posted by chapinsita
From my understanding....all UC schools send out secondaries, it's policy. It doesn't mean that you passed any stage of admissions. So if you don't get a secondary from a UC, might be good to call or something.

yea somebody told me that too. that some schols just send out seconarides regardless of your application, just to basically get the money for the secondary.

which other schools do that? do some schools just give u an interview? if so, which ones.

also, my friend in 1st year pharm school, told me not to worry and to apply to med schols verywhere especially out of state, since u have a higher chanc eof getting in there than in the state fo your residence. i know, i thought the complete opposite, but she said, they accept u, b/c they want your money for tituion, since it is like double the tuition if u were a resident of the state.

Originally posted by souljah1
Just to clarify...

All of the UC medical schools screen before sending out secondaries, including UC Irvine. Most UC's send out anywhere from 1000-1500 secondaries, and interview between 400-600 applicants. Stanford also screens prior to sending secondaries.

To all those waiting for secondaries..take some deep breaths..there is a lot of time left.

what do u mean by screening?

ok,

Most medical schools will send you a secondary as soon as they process your primary application. They usually ask for an essay, but all of them ask for money and for your letters of recommendation. There are some schools who 'screen' before sending secondaries. Meaning, they do not send secondaries to everyone. They look at gpa, mcat, personal statement, leadership activities, background, etc and then determine whether or not you should be sent a secondary. For instance, UCSF sends somewhere around 1400 secondaries, but about 4700 apply. I think screening is a good thing. First of all, it saves you money, and secondly...if you get a secondary you know that the school is interested in you. Hope that clarifies things.

I think it is Pocwana who has an excellent web page listing what schools screen and links to available secondaries.

Peace.

For those lucky enough to get a request for secondaries, can you please post the method you were notified (ie. e-mail vs us-mail)? Thanks a million.

I was notified by Davis a few weeks ago via e-mail...

I'm waiting on pins and needles for the other UCs!

C

oh my gosh!!! i just checked online and ucsf wants me to fill out a secondary :) i never would have checked if it weren't for sdn.

Hi Folks,
I just want to reiterate checking the website thing. I'm just like the poster above. I just found out last night that I got a secondary from UCSF, and it was granted 8/20, and I HAD NO CLUE. I thought they were going to send me at least a post card or something. YOU HAVE TO CHECK THE WEBSITE. And here is my near-horror story, if I hadn't checked this week, next week I would have passed their four week secondary deadline, and they would have assumed I was withdrawing my app. It makes me cringe just thinking about it. Alright, once more for the road: make sure you to check your UCSF status every few days.

Banana Split

yeah, i think ucsf is not handling this well at all. people really need to be notified by e-mail or in the mail if they are going to have a 4 week deadline. i would love to tell them i have some concerns about it but wouldn't want to piss them off! and i figure the way they're doing it increases my chances since many unfortunately won't know to check the website.

Originally posted by souljah1

I think it is Pocwana who has an excellent web page listing what schools screen and links to available secondaries.

Peace.

what is Pocwana and what is the site?

Originally posted by silver_eyes
what is Pocwana and what is the site?

never mind i found the site.

where in the MSAR did u find this info from. i have the 2000-2001 edition. i am going to to buy the new one soon.

thanks

Originally posted by uclachris
For those lucky enough to get a request for secondaries, can you please post the method you were notified (ie. e-mail vs us-mail)? Thanks a million.

I was notified by Davis a few weeks ago via e-mail...

I'm waiting on pins and needles for the other UCs!

C

received an email from Davis

found out about ucla by chance (checked the status page) ..then a week later received a letter.

still haven't heard from irvine or SD

amcas:
submitted: 6/19
processed: 7/16

UCSF
AMCAS Data 7/26/2002
UC app 7/28/02
Secondary Request 08/09/02
randomly checked online.
no other notification. and the instructions say they want receipt of secondary within 2 weeks!

UCSD
Application received 7/25/2002
UC app ?
Secondary Request 08/01/02
notified via e-mail

UCLA
AMCAS Data 7/19/2002
UC app 7/23/02
Secondary Request 08/16/02
checked website.
snail mail a week later.

UCI
AMCAS Data 6/19/2002
UC app 7/2/02
Secondary Request 08/22/02
notified via e-mail

UCD
AMCAS Data 7/25/2002
UC app ?
Secondary Request 08/21/02
notified via e-mail

yeah, i don't know waht ppl r saying.

UCSF says they want u to submit it within 2 weeks (receipt) and the letters within 3 weeks!

not one month.

On my UCSF secondary, it says:

"DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF ALL MATERIAL: As soon as possible or up to FOUR WEEKS FROM THE DATE APPROVED FOR SECONDARY ON THE UCSF STATUS WEBSITE."

BananaSplit

My ucsf secondary says the same thing as for Banana Split's. (4 wks)

mine says 4 weeks as well!

well mine said 3 weeks max.

Oh yeah, well mine says...oh, wait...I guess I can't participate in this discussion yet...
mecry.gif

Originally posted by cipher
Oh yeah, well mine says...oh, wait...I guess I can't participate in this discussion yet...
mecry.gif

I feel you cipher.
mecry.gif

i heard it is easier to get into med schools out of state than instate b/c they want ur money. is that true. i think if u think about it, it makes sense.

sweet, then i have a chance at bostonU...'

'SHOW ME THE MONEY', adcom says

i heard it is easier to get into med schools out of state than instate b/c they want ur money. is that true. i think if u think about it, it makes sense.

headscratch.gif

Well often, state legislatures have a required percentage of people that must be from in-state. It's almost never true that it's easier from out of state.

-RA

naaww, i dont believe that. adcoms are after your money. they get double if u are not from the state. why wouldnt they want to accept you?

they want to, but public schools are constrained by state law so technically they can't

besides, from what i know, the "school" gets the same amount of money whether u are from instate or outta state. instate student pays half as much, but the other half is covered by taxpayers. so technically, a school gets the same amount of money from either instate or outta state student.

any recent news on ucsf or ucla? i'm still waiting ( praying) for secondaries from these guys.

I've noticed from the Official Schools Interviewing thread that only UCSD (out of all the UCs) has started giving out interview invities.

Do you guys think that UCSD will let me interview if I call them and ask, saying that I will be in the area on a particular date? I am flying home in October for one interview but I would like to schedule another in (just to save money). Has anyone tried this before with any of the UCs, particularly UCSD?

Still waiting on UCLA & UCSF. If anyone else gets a secondary from these schools or has any new info, please post it.