Secondaries: plans for the next year.

Started by Pose
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pose

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am working on secondaries, and oddly enough struggling with the "what are your 2013-14 plans?" question. I quit my job for this process, and while I am actively looking for work now, I have yet to land anything. I'm also not in school. I do volunteer teach and shadow, but it seems pretty lame trying to account for 30-40hrs of activity each week. Should I mention I am seeking employment?

And how about format? Is this too informal?

Volunteering:

My duties as a GED tutor have progressed to overseeing an entire class twice per week. This experience accounts for approximately 4 - 6 hours, and will continue throughout the year.

I have made plans to participate in the upkeep and maintenance of the 90 miles of Appalachian Trail that runs through Massachusetts. Along with other outdoor enthusiasts, I will dedicate select days to trail maintenance, clean ups, and the building of facilities.

Shadowing:

I will continue to shadow an emergency medicine physician for 8 hours per week. Since beginning this experience, I have made contact with an internist and orthopedic surgeon in the same facility, with subsequent plans to shadow both specialities.

Academics:

During the spring semester of 2014, I will be enrolled in the second semester of organic chemistry at my alma mater.
 
Any opportunities for medical/clinical volunteering? Healthcare for the homeless? Firestation/ ambulance company? Getting certified in CPR or ACLS? Becoming an instructor for CPR or ACLS? In your shoes I would look for something more medical to add.

And yes, I would write down the type of job you plan to have.
 
I worked full time as an ED tech for six years (and CPR/BLS instructor). I'm definitely not looking for any more clinical experience. I'll throw in some stuff about planned employment I suppose.

Do you think my format is appropriate for this type of question?