Secondaries sent in July,August... still no word...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liverfingers

holla back girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else in the same boat?-- Secondaries sent in late July, August, early September, and still haven't heard from schools beyond "under review"?

It's October now, do we still have a shot at these schools where we've been "under review" for months?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same situation. (Mostly Aug-early september)
21 schools
1 rejection
3 pre-interview hold

Same here. Been complete at nearly all of my schools since late July. I'm on hold at Albany...and UVM and VCU have me in "competitive" pools which means i might get an interview. At this point im starting to think that 85% of these silent schools are just going to send me a rejection letter in a matter of days...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in limbo at the most of the MD programs I applied to, including all my state schools except one. I was complete at the schools in July/August too. The silence is kinda of annoying, we paid them their money and sent in our stuff early, at least tell us something!

Okay, time to start an "official" thread on this topic. I'd love to see an "Official 2008-2009 I'm still in Limbo Thread" where people will detail the following:

Residency
# schools applied to
GPA
MCAT
EC's (self rated, 1-10)

I want to know how many people with decent/good stats are sitting in limbo still. I think it will put many of us at ease to see we're not alone. :)

To answer the OP:
Other than the quick initial rejections I've seen, its been very quiet for me. I recently received "1" (my only) interview invite (which I'm extremely grateful for), but I'm in limbo for about 25 schools.

CA Resident
~25 schools in limbo
3.75ish
33 O (PS: 11, VR: 9, PS: 13)
EC's: 7/10

Im on the same boat guys. I applied to 20 schools (DO & MD) and have been complete since late August & early september. I have only had one interview and one rejection thus far but no worries it still kinda early.

I finished many of my secondaries around the same time and didn't get interview invites until November through March. Don't sweat it yet - it happens.

i've had secondaries complete anywhere from early july to mid august. I've gotten 5 rejections, and no response from 12 schools. *sigh* i feel your pain but since we can't really do anything but sit around and wait, that's what i'm going to do.

I finished many of my secondaries around the same time and didn't get interview invites until November through March. Don't sweat it yet - it happens.

Ugh, but that means waiting while everyone else in all my classes tell tales of all of their interviews and acceptances.
I was doing such a good job at quelling my paranoia, but once the chattering started in my classes, I lost all control once more. :bang:

I initially found this post reassuring... Then I read your MDApps and realized that you applied only to the UCs, USC and Stanford. :sad:

Okay, time to start an "official" thread on this topic. I'd love to see an "Official 2008-2009 I'm still in Limbo Thread" where people will detail the following:

Residency
# schools applied to
GPA
MCAT
EC's (self rated, 1-10)

I want to know how many people with decent/good stats are sitting in limbo still. I think it will put many of us at ease to see we're not alone. :)

To answer the OP:
Other than the quick initial rejections I've seen, its been very quiet for me. I recently received "1" (my only) interview invite (which I'm extremely grateful for), but I'm in limbo for about 25 schools.

CA Resident
~25 schools in limbo
3.75ish
I'm hopin' for ya. You may not remember me from the MCAT forums (6/13 test day too :thumbup:), but I honestly refuse to believe you won't end up somewhere. Even if you don't, it's by no ways any indication of your "qualifications". Here's hoping that interview is an acceptance.

Yeah I just don't know if we've misse the boat on those schools :confused:

Residency
# schools applied to
GPA
MCAT
EC's (self rated, 1-10)

To answer the OP:

CA Resident
~25 schools in limbo
3.75ish

Same here.
CA resident
30 schools
35 (PS: 13, VR: 12, BS:10)
EC's: 6/10

I knew I wasn't going to get into UCSF... but I expected a few interviews by now :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You all really should be putting your approximate date of completion for most of your schools

I'm hopin' for ya. You may not remember me from the MCAT forums (6/13 test day too :thumbup:), but I honestly refuse to believe you won't end up somewhere. Even if you don't, it's by no ways any indication of your "qualifications". Here's hoping that interview is an acceptance.
Thanks. And yeah, I remember you :)

I have yet to hear from a substantial number of schools (over 20).

Keep trucking along!

Same here.
CA resident
30 schools
35 (PS: 13, VR: 12, BS:10)
EC's: 6/10

I knew I wasn't going to get into UCSF... but I expected a few interviews by now :(
It's relieving to know were not alone, right :) Best of luck to us all!

Well, I'm not sure there is any rhyme or reason to this process anymore. I completed all of my secondaries in July/Aug, I applied to 14 schools, got rejected from 3 pre-interview, interviewed at 5 (got into 2 so far!), but still haven't heard a word from 6. It doesn't take 3 months to read my application!

Well, I'm not sure there is any rhyme or reason to this process anymore. I completed all of my secondaries in July/Aug, I applied to 14 schools, got rejected from 3 pre-interview, interviewed at 5 (got into 2 so far!), but still haven't heard a word from 6. It doesn't take 3 months to read my application!

wow lol is this the right thread for you?

wow lol is this the right thread for you?

Well, that sort of proves my point. When it comes to who they ignore they don't discriminate. I wouldn't assume that no word is necessarily a bad sign.

Well, that sort of proves my point. When it comes to who they ignore they don't discriminate. I wouldn't assume that no word is necessarily a bad sign.

Yeah same here. I applied to 27 schools, was complete pretty much everywhere by the first/second week of August, got 5 interviews in August, and nothing since (one acceptance out of the interviews I had). Point is, things have slowed down CONSIDERABLY for people, for no apparent reason. You'd think that having gotten some great interviews and an acceptance really early I'd be a "good candidate" and would therefore be getting something more frequently, but it's been almost 2 months since my last interview invite. I'm really not complaining by the way, just making the point that the "slowness" seems to be relatively random and probably has very little to do with your actual qualifications. They're probably just super-overwhelmed with early applicants.

Yeah same here. I applied to 27 schools, was complete pretty much everywhere by the first/second week of August, got 5 interviews in August, and nothing since (one acceptance out of the interviews I had). Point is, things have slowed down CONSIDERABLY for people, for no apparent reason. You'd think that having gotten some great interviews and an acceptance really early I'd be a "good candidate" and would therefore be getting something more frequently, but it's been almost 2 months since my last interview invite. I'm really not complaining by the way, just making the point that the "slowness" seems to be relatively random and probably has very little to do with your actual qualifications. They're probably just super-overwhelmed with early applicants.

that's reassuring, thanks LET!

I received a bunch of interviews mid-late august, and just yesterday received my first interview since. Schools are definitely still offering out interviews, but they have no doubt slowed down substantially compared to a few months ago. You just need to be patient and understand that the interview process goes on through March (the interview I received yesterday was for January).

Huh, just a few hours after I posted that I got an interview invite at Tulane...which I had theoretically withdrawn from last week.

New lucky interview thread, perhaps?!

AZ
Complete 9-30-08
31 schools
10/7/11
10/10

state school interviews. BU, WF, CW rejections.

NY resident
applied to 29 schools
(completed july/aug)
GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 36M (B11/P12/V13)
3 pre-secondary rejections
1 post-secondary rejection
1 post-interview waitlist
3 post-interview mysteries
2 upcoming interviews scheduled
(leaving 19 schools in limbo)