Secondary active transport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can this happen in both directions? i.e, in the direction of Na+ active transport by the ATPase (out of the cell) or in the opposite direction (into the cell)?

Members don't see this ad.

Can this happen in both directions? i.e, in the direction of Na+ active transport by the ATPase (out of the cell) or in the opposite direction (into the cell)?

Whatever's being transported has to go against the concentration gradient. So depending on whether the concentration gradient is lower inside the cell or out, that would determine the direction of the active transport. But at any given concentration gradient/situation, the active transport could only go in one direction.

But, I don't believe the concentration gradient of the thing being transported has to go in the same direction as the Na+ concentration gradient.... symport/antiport both possible. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Whatever's being transported has to go against the concentration gradient. So depending on whether the concentration gradient is lower inside the cell or out, that would determine the direction of the active transport. But at any given concentration gradient/situation, the active transport could only go in one direction.

But, I don't believe the concentration gradient of the thing being transported has to go in the same direction as the Na+ concentration gradient.... symport/antiport both possible. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

True, the only requirement for secondary active transport is that the "energy" of transport comes from another ion/molecule's (usually sodium's) concentration gradient. If you have the movement of one ion down its concentration gradient coupled with the movement of another ion against its concentration (regardless of the direction of transport) that is secondary active transport.

yeah, either direction is secondary active transport. symport is secondary active transport in same direction and antiport is samething but in opposite directions. both symport+antiport use the energy gradient made from _____ passive transport to fuel their own active transport.