1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

secondary application essay vs. personal statement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Chankovsky, Mar 21, 2004.

1. How is the essay required by most secondary applications different than the personal statement submitted in the AMCAS.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. acab

acab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It's different for every school, but many of them ask why you want to go to that particular school.

4. Anka

Anka Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your personal statement you get to write whatever you want -- It's just a blank spot on your AMCAS. Your secondary essays will have specific questions, such as "Why do you want to go to school X" "What contribution would you like to make to the field of medicine" "Discuss an ethical dilemma you have personally been involved in, and how you handled it." "How do you deal with stress" "What is your personal belief system. Discuss influences." and so on.

I'd start writing your AMCAS personal statement as soon as possible. Worry about your secondary essays as soon as you get them. Be warned that U Chicago's has four longish essay questions. Other schools are just "send a check."

Anka

5. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

please please do a search. there was a thread on this topic within the last month.

6. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

which schools have killer 2ndary? which ones are ez

7. scrabbler

scrabbler too much sugar
    7+ Year Member

If you search, I believe there have been threads on this. The worst secondary for me personally was UCSD (write an autobiography). I hear Duke and University of Chicago are pretty bad.