Secondary Application Spelling Error

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurenick

Reaction score
After submitting a recent secondary application, I was planning on recycling the essay for another school and upon re-reading it I found a minor mistake in my writing. This is the sentence...

"Not only was it necessary to assess my individual needs, but I had to to contrast them against my father’s."

I used the word "to" twice in this sentence and did not realize it even after doing a thorough read through. The rest of the essay is well written and I believe it to be very strong, but I am nervous that this will make a big impact. Any advice from people who have been in similar situations?

Members don't see this ad.

Better pack your sunscreen…/s
Actually, I think @Goro would have exactly what you need…

Last edited:
Better pack your sunscreen…/s
Actually, I think @Goro would have exactly what you need…
I'm not picking up what you're putting down here. I hope it's sarcasm, but this is a legitimate concern of mine.

I should also mention, the only reason I am cornered about this is because it's my application to my #1 school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Instant reject. Straight to the trash.

This can't be a real level of neuroticism

Didn't even notice the second "to" in the sentence until you pointed it out. I doubt whoever is reading will notice considering how much time they take reading each app. Take a chill pill and be happy you've submitted the secondary for that school.

Reactions: 1 users
After submitting a recent secondary application, I was planning on recycling the essay for another school and upon re-reading it I found a minor mistake in my writing. This is the sentence...

"Not only was it necessary to assess my individual needs, but I had to to contrast them against my father’s."

I used the word "to" twice in this sentence and did not realize it even after doing a thorough read through. The rest of the essay is well written and I believe it to be very strong, but I am nervous that this will make a big impact. Any advice from people who have been in similar situations?
I didn't notice it until the third time I read, while looking for a problem. Most readers' eyes will slide right over the double "to," because that's how our brains work. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, calm down. The medical admissions process is a holistic one. If you get rejected, it’s not because of a typo but because your application as a whole was not a good enough fit for those schools. Go out there and get some sun. Just forget about it until you get an interview invite or R.

Last edited:
OP, calm down. The medical admissions process is a holistic one. If you get rejected, it’s not because of a typo but because your application as a whole was not good. Go out there and get some sun. Just forget about it until you get an interview invite or R.
I don't mean to be hyper-sensitive, but as someone who is now in the thick of it after being on the sidelines last year, and after observing intently for one cycle before that, I have to point out that a TON of people are rejected, just because of the numbers and level of competition, whose application as a whole is in fact "good."

I still love you, but that's pretty insensitive thing to say given how many people are reapplying this year who would have been admitted in any prior cycle with the exact same application. Not "good" is very different from "not good enough" given the level of competition!

I don't mean to be hyper-sensitive, but as someone who is now in the thick of it after being on the sidelines last year, and after observing intently for one cycle before that, I have to point out that a TON of people are rejected, just because of the numbers and level of competition, whose application as a whole is in fact "good."

I still love you, but that's pretty insensitive thing to say given how many people are reapplying this year who would have been admitted in any prior cycle with the exact same application. Not "good" is very different from "not good enough" given the level of competition!
touche. Made the edit. I often forget how fortunate I was to have a rather stressless cycle compared to others.

Reactions: 1 user