Secondary Application Trap Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTRN406

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When a school asks for a response to a secondary question and words it as:

"Our values are X, Y, and Z. Which of these value(s) do you consider to be most important, and why?"

Is this a trap? The (s) after "value" in the second sentence throws me off, because it gives you the option of selecting more than one, or all of them.

So, the conundrum is, if you pick all of them and say that they are all equally important, it makes you look wishy-washy. To me, this would come across as not being able to pick a position and defend it.

However, if you pick one of the values and say that it is the most important one and explain why, it might be interpreted as you thinking that the other values are unimportant.

So, no matter how you answer, you end up looking bad.

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably just write about how you embody all 3, and that's why you can't see yourself at any other school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you place the values in a hierarchy it does not mean that those that are lower are not important but that they are not the most important. If you had two values at odds and had to choose between them, which would you choose?

Reactions: 2 users
When a school asks for a response to a secondary question and words it as:

"Our values are X, Y, and Z. Which of these value(s) do you consider to be most important, and why?"

Is this a trap? The (s) after "value" in the second sentence throws me off, because it gives you the option of selecting more than one, or all of them.

So, the conundrum is, if you pick all of them and say that they are all equally important, it makes you look wishy-washy. To me, this would come across as not being able to pick a position and defend it.

However, if you pick one of the values and say that it is the most important one and explain why, it might be interpreted as you thinking that the other values are unimportant.

So, no matter how you answer, you end up looking bad.
This isn't the Prisoner's Dilemma. It's only a trap to people who over think things.

Just answer the question.

Reactions: 2 users