1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Secondary Application - Wait-listed years ago

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by ReapPremed, Sep 11, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. ReapPremed

ReapPremed

Jul 23, 2017
    So I interviewed at and was wait-listed at my state school some years ago right out of undergrad. I foolishly reapplied with some incremental changes (publications), thinking wait-list went I was 'almost' there but not quite. As you'd expect I did not get an interview.

And now I am reapplying again hopefully with other good things (new MCAT, volunteering, shadowing). I am not sure if I should really bring up my past application attempts or not in the secondary? Like say "So this is everything that has changed since I interviewed. I know I didn't make the cut last time but I think if you consider all that's happened since that interview..." and rattle off what changed and what I learned?

Is it better just not to draw attention to my previous failures and act like its a brand new, shiny application?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor SDN Moderator 5+ Year Member

They can already see you have applied twice.
    Don't mention it unless they ask.

Goro likes this.
  4. ReapPremed

ReapPremed

Jul 23, 2017
    I guess I was thinking more about doing some kind of guide-posting. There's an "anything else" option on the secondary, and I heard directly that the dean wants to see changes between reapplications... Though I guess that's really tacit and they'll be looking for those anyway?

5. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor SDN Moderator 5+ Year Member

This is it.

Goro likes this.