Secondary applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I was just wondering how much weight do schools place on how well written your secondary applications are? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Lilith said:
Hi!

I was just wondering how much weight do schools place on how well written your secondary applications are? Thanks.

Probably as much weight as your personal statement. Keep in mind that the secondary application will be added to your file. I know that when I would grade formal papers I would remember a student's style, their voice, and how well of a response they would craft. If another sample came through that was full of mistakes and read as if it were written by a monkey then I would get suspicious. Either the student had a REALLY bad writing day or they were cheating somehow (having someone write their assignments, etc.). While I am not saying that if you turn in a poorly written secondary application a school will toss you on the grounds of cheating, I am trying to suggest that it is a good idea to have a consistent quality of response across all of your communications. Think of it as a symphony: imagine the first number being played with passion and perfection to the point that the hair stands on the back of your neck. Now imagine the second score slightly off - the strings don't hit their mark, a horn is off key, and the beat is missed more than once. Your impression of the evening will be soured as a result of that second performance. Dental schools don't know you - you didn't grow up together or have Sunday dinners at each other's home. They are relying on your written responses and numbers to make a judgement about your intellect, level of responsibility, and ability to take on the rigors of dental school. With that said, yes, I would take the responses given on a secondary application very seriously and make sure that you are presenting yourself in the best manner possible in every correspondence with them.

Hi Sprgover:

Thank you for your helpful input. I was wondering about this because I just started to work on several secondaries, and I feel a little overwhelmed. I was just worried that I won't be able to do a good job on them. Thanks again.