Secondary essay ideas feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reapplicant2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with MCW's prompt which asks: recount a time when you made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?

Currently I have 2 ideas:

1. Not talking to or visiting my grandmother more (she lives on the other side of planet) and she passed away during the COVID pandemic.

2. Taking a lot of filler classes and not challenging myself or taking classes that really interested me during undergrad.

Currently leaning towards the second one as it's something that was within my control. My only concern is that I'm sort of admitting that I padded my GPA though I did graduate in 2020, so it's been a while.

Any input is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose the first topic (not visiting your grandmother) rather than the second topic (taking filler classes). Choosing the second topic may give the impression that you are not really interested in learning. That said, whichever topic you choose, the key to writing a successful essay will be to show that you are self-aware, learned from the bad decision, and came out the other side a better person.

Reactions: 2 users
I would choose the first topic (not visiting your grandmother) rather than the second topic (taking filler classes). Choosing the second topic may give the impression that you are not really interested in learning. That said, whichever topic you choose, the key to writing a successful essay will be to show that you are self-aware, learned from the bad decision, and came out the other side a better person.
I echo this. I would be very careful about going #2 not just because it's academic related and may not be as compelling, but because it doesn't paint a good picture of you (no matter what you learned, it still may be frowned upon).